Friday, March 31, 2023

Roll out the barrel......

I get up way too early. (I go to bed way too early.) I watch ABC's World News Now. This ain't sponsored and there won't be any small rectangular box in the lower right hand corner for you to click 'Skip Ad', it's just the channel I watch....they're all kinda sorta alike... and it maybe has a touch to do with the fact this show precedes the local news, with the announcer lady I've had a goofy celebrity crush on for, oh, 20+ years now.

Good. Bad. That's life, ain't it Frank?

It's (watching the news) a compilation of events, going ons that might make you cover your eyes, grab more coffee (and a Rolaids), and then fun, human interest stories that don't last near long enough and they leave one a hollerin' "MORE! MORE!" as if you'd just watched some they-ain't-dead-yet-but-still-wonderful band saunter off the stage and you're standing, clapping, begging for more.

Then, at some point, the ABC folks bring someone out with an accordion to play their version, The World News Polka.

So, I'm a simpleton... it's ugly stuff, fun stuff (more more), aesthetically pleasing stuff (hubba hubba) and music. Frankly, that's life.

Honest, I don't like morbid, but too, reality creeps in. In case you ain't gone to the Piggly Wiggly lately, stood in line and read the National Inquirer headline about a 2016 Park City, Utah ski accident where a retired optometrist (now 75-ish) claims Gwyneth Paltrow ran into him (cha-ching), breaking four ribs, concussed, affected every aspect of his life and now wants $3+ million. Gwyneth says "nuh uh, you ran into me" so she counter sued for $1 + court costs. More.

Well, reasonable doubt, jury found in Gwyneth's favor... I read in one article (can't find it now damnit darnit) that basically went back to morbid, suggesting the guy's woes had more to do with 'that's life/you-are-aging.' (You can almost hear Norman and Ethel Thayer in the background.)  Gwyneth tapped optometrist guy on shoulder on way out "I wish you well", he replied in kind, "Thank you Dear."

Ya just never know. Imagine a circle of chairs, oh, say 21 chairs... then.. 22 of us geezers walking around while the accordion guy plays Roll Out The Barrel. The music stops. Soon restarts and there are 21 of us left for 20 chairs, etc. I abhor this particular 'etc'.

A few years back I attended a funeral with a gal I was seeing and her folks. Her Mom stated "the last of my best friends." I'll never forget that.

I guess the point being, life is fleeting. Scroll past the ugly. Stand (with your best friends) call that they-ain't-dead-yet band back for another song. (One chair for you AND one for each of your friends.) Dance to the music.

Since it's the beer barrel polka, we might as well share a beer. (Stay off the roads and the slopes if you do.)

I wish you well, love, Victurd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks..........

 Once again, I made the dreaded mistake of, strolling, page by page thru the newspaper.  I do so virually every morning, and.... as I finall...