Saturday, April 13, 2024

For granted.........

Me, me, me. Sorry, Kinda, but hopefully for just a short... 

For the last 21 years, I've been the lone survivor of a nuclear family of four.  The reason I point this out, is, when asked about family, I always reply "I couldn't have painted a better picture/family to grow up in.... the basta's (said VERY lovingly) just all checked out too soon."

A typical Schultze evening: 

Dinner around the table, four of us. With no stated agenda, we each pretty much shared the ongoings of our day. Usually, yes, it was our mom that cooked... Good stuff, aplenty.  Leftovers, placed in the fridge for perhaps the next day.  Later that night, off to bed.

We all arrived in bed at differing times.. usually fairly close chronologically. Folks in their room, prior (maybe, dunno?) to king size beds - mom, dad had two twin beds held together with bungie cords, comfy. Sister in her own room, nice sized bed.  me, the twerp, on a twin in my room.

Corny mebbe, yet, we loved:  "Night mom, I love you, you're the best mom in the world."  Each, mom, dad, sister Vanda, twerp me, would repeat and offer same "love... best dad, best sister, best son,.." yada.

Lucky we were, and I do not take that for granted.

Much. Much today, different. Absent parents, step parents/children, being raised by grandparents, foster parents... worked with a gal, her mom left the family (a few years after her father had) when she was age 8.  Eight. No grands around. I can't imagine, fathom.

I awakened this morning thinking about pissing and moaning... "wish I had this...  that.. "  My pity party moments, thankfully, are short-lived, as there of course is the old standby, "there is ALWAYS someone worse off than you."

I Googled about things we take for granted.  Much.

That meal above, our family gathered.  One in nine... ONE IN NINE, go to bed hungry Worldwide. We, had leftovers in the fridge.

One in nine go to bed hungry.

It can be even worse.  Those, there, lucky enough to have their own bed. In the United States alone, it is believed 700,000 children share a bed..... over 440,000 sleep on the floor as they don't even have one.  Imagine those numbers Worldwide.

We have hot and cold water.  Many don't.

Roof above.  Ain't always the case.

Well and supportive.  Again, I was lucky, the above, easily offering the stated word love. So, so many don't have that.  

Five senses.  Lucky.

Car.  I do hereby swear the next time I gripe, groan, trying to set the alltime record for Wally World sacks carried in one trip - to never bemoan that. You see 'em, I see 'em.  Many don't have transportation.  Many afoot, one bag in each hand walking across town.  Rain, snow, ice, cold, immense heat, no choice, it's a have to. Imagine that it may not be all they need in those two sacks - a second, third trip needed - perhaps doing without until enough energy, money, for trip #2.  It's a for sure, there are those that cannot physically make that walk, and some, perhaps no family around to help.

We, I think most of us can admit, take much for granted.  AC. Heat. Blankets, clothes, shoes, hats, gloves, aplenty. Cupboards, fridges, freezers. TV's, radios, computers, phones. 

Not a hunnerd percent sure why I write this stuff...  one reason, for sure, is I know I catch myself drippy, droopy, woe-is-me, occasionally before I slap myself in the face to awaken to the reality life is pretty dadgum good for me. Hop in if you're in that boat.

There's ALWAYS someone worse off.  Damnit darnit. Sad, but true.

Love, Victurd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who is you?

  It's been hashed and rehashed - no, not that kinda hash ya dayum doped up hippies... it's been hashed and rehashed, I'm a simp...