Tuesday, August 16, 2022

The rain disdain stays mainly in the sane.......

By George I think something's amiss there!

Tain't rained for 20 days here in Kansas City.  Raining now. Yum.  

Weather, whether you agree or not, is kinda like life.  I guess I'm writing down memories so one day I can look back, if I can still read, and observe, just who in the heck am I, was I, were I.

I remember rain in Little League, like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!".... I remember rain as a bonified airline suitcase thrower = YUCK!  You can dress for cold.. You can take off for hot.  There ain't no escape from rain.

I remember that rain makes you feel alive.  Yep.  You're out and about, an unexpected shower happens, and as it happens, it intensifies...  ya head for shelter - but, ya end up drenched from head to toe.  If you remember when this has happened, once safe haven has been reached, smiles abound.  Rain makes one feel.  Titilating. Rain is like a flashmob, a grandkid's smile, a knowing glance at your mate across the way... the wagging tail of a hound pooch. (Shiver me timbers, and unplanned wet T-shirt contest!)

Much like drugs, food, sex, video games, work, idleness, yada - too much of it (rain) is poopy. It'll make your basement flood, your crops grow and then die (with too much.)

Hello Mudda, hello Faddah.. Here I am at Camp Grenada..  Camp is very entertaining, and they say we'll have some fun if it stops raining.

All across the land, raisins (that's fancy for old farts like me) will gather the morning after at McDonalds, the local mom/pop diner, Hy-Vee dining rooms - and compare... "I live halfway to Kearney, we got 2.7 inches last night."  "Gladstone, we got a little under an inch and a half." "Just a sprinkle down around Belton." We measure much in life.  Happiness.  Wealth.  Love.  Possessions.  Giving. Exercising.  Calories.  Rain. Rain, it be like life.

Take me home, oh Muddah, Fadda..  Take me home, I hate Grenada.. Don't leave me out in the forest where, I might get eaten by a bear.

Rain is religious.  My granny used the margins of her Bible to record (unusual occurrences.) "Rained half a foot in Mokane yesterday, shut the main highway down for two days, July 7, 1958."

Rain paints.  Makes grass green.  Cornstalks grow and ultimately turn yeller. Radishes, strawberries, beets, cucumbers, a plethora of the color wheel.

Fellow raisins, we curse at rain.  A golf ball that would normally travel 197 yards, will only go 164 yards immediately after the rain ends. 

The AM/FM dial brings us rain songs.  Or, Spotify, Pandora, iTunes, iHeart, Youtube, GooglePlay, Bubba Shrimp, Sirius, yada yada.  Have you ever seen the rain?   Rainy days and Mondays always get (some) me down.

The Temps want, look forward to rain:  "Sunshine, blue skies, please go away.. my girl has found another, and gone away..  With her went my future, my life is filled with gloom....so day after day I stay locked up in my room.. I know to you it might sound strange, but I wish it would rain."

Dearest Fadduh, darling Muddah.. how's my precious little bruddah... Let me come home if you miss me.. I would even let Aunt Bertha hug and kiss me.

John and Paul offered "If the rain comes, they run and hide their heads.. they might as well be dead.. if the rain comes.. if the rain comes..."  There's a song about Purple Rain but reckon I'm sheltered, ain't never seen that.  Poor BJ can't get away, the raindrops keep falling on his head.

The Eurythmics, not to be confused with "Listen to the rythm of the falling rain", tell us, "Here comes the rain again."

Rain can make driving hard to see.. roads slick.. hydroplaning.. folks complaining.. Ahm, it could be worse.. A little over a hunnerd years ago, folks rode horses, how bout them reins?  Makes your saddle itchy don't it....

I kinda likes the smell of rain on 120 degree asphalt. 

There's all kindsa people. Dems, Pubs, innies/outties, Yankee fans, Dodger fans, other fans, saggers, raisins with their belt buckles up over their innies/outties, People that speak different languages.  Kings, queens, pawns, commoners, Class systems, some folks even with no class. There's homeless, Castles, RV'ers, those that live in tents.  Different takes on rain, all. Some love it, some hate it, some get too much, many, never enough.  Rain is kinda interesting. Makes rivers rise, gets creeks outta their beds, crappies bite (I have no idea if that's true, ain't a fisherman). Oceans continuous.  Can make hydroelectric power.

There's a dictionary and a half of terms:  atmospheric water vapor, irrigation, ecosystems, fronts, cumulonimbus, rainbands (Somea them we already focused on their lyrics), upslope flow, monsoon, particles, drops,  hail, sleet, snow, freshwater, hurricanes, tsunamis, acid rain, rainforests, swamps, deserts, Bubba Shrimp rain.

Baseball games gotta go 5 full innings (Ok, 4 and a half if home team ahead) before being rained out.  Don't rain on my parade as we've already addressed how sucky rain is on horseback.

Well I'll be go to hell.  (Why do people say that?  Urban Dictionary indicates one is reacting to something interesting or surprising. I looked around, didn't find much interesting here, but I am surprised.)

You see (well... I didn't.)  You see I was typing this 24 hours ago... The rain, combined with thunder, knocked out the electricity of half of us folks who live in this town.  (Stevie, I think she's a witch, or so I heard, says "Thunder only happens when it rains.).. After the rainy night in Georgia and here and the lights went out..I was bein' smart (finishing this blog), I turned on the flashlight function of my phone (I kissed it, ha) and I finished this damn blog.  I made a few errors, but, figured I would correct them once lights, tv, wifi, came back on.

Well I'll be go to hell.  What this simpleton (me) missed was...... all that typing, finishing this blog, hell's bells the wi-fi was down, NONE of it was recorded - so, I get here this morning, there's 2/3's of a blog.  Sunny Beach.  Well, kinda sunny I guess. High in the 70's today, yum.

In summation, rain is wonderful, sucky, necessary, has a mind of it's own, a little goes a long ways, a lot makes your car float down the road a long ways.  It's invicorating, fun, unsuspected, expected, scary, cool to watch, listen to, cold, you can't escape it..  basically.  RAIN IS LIKE LIFE.

Wait a minute, it's stopped hailing.  Guys are swimming, guys are sailing.  Playing baseball, gee that's bettah, Muddah, Faddah kindly disregard this blog.

By Henry Gibson..    Foreward by Allan Sherman, Fred Broski, Dan Henry and Brian Busby

Love, Victurd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks..........

 Once again, I made the dreaded mistake of, strolling, page by page thru the newspaper.  I do so virually every morning, and.... as I finall...