Friday, November 11, 2022

Spare change.......

I love this world.  Virtually, almost everything and anything within it.

Last year, after watching the rate of my gas bill go up up (but not) away, they sent me an email about level pay.  You got it Spire, I aspire for that.... a few weeks ago, my furnace came on for the first time this year.  All good.  Then, it didn't go off. Eh, I'm on level pay now, no biggie.  Then I noticed it hadn't gone off by the time I retired underneath two huge comforters, so I lowered the thermostat.

I came home from playing golf the other day, tweren't bad out, not ideal, but not bad.  Furnace was on.  All good, I'm on level pay now, no biggie.  And then I noticed it'd been on for quite awhile, so I looked at Accuweather, noticed the temp was 61, I don't need no stinking furnace at 61, turn the thermostat down yet again.

This morning, all three local forecasters got it right (damnit.)  Brrrrr.  My furnace just came on. OK, OK, OK, I get it. Stay on please, feed me heat Seymour, change just jumped over the horizon.

Choices.  Looking at all of the above, choices.  Should I cuss, kick, call the switchboard lady at Spire and give her a piece of my mind? Or, do I look in the mirror, realize how damn happy I am to still be here, observe the changing of seasons again, and say a little prayer of thanks.

I prayed.

I go to the gym (sometimes). I observe kids (that is anyone under age 40) moving, jumping, lifting, running, walking, all in ways there ain't no way in hell I'll ever do that again. Grab my cane and whack their ass?  Furrow my eyebrows in Ebeneezer fashion, or, delight in the fact my brain is right there with 'em, and it's fun to see.

I smiled.

Change happens, there's no sparing it. There's much in this world I don't understand. I saw a video recently, an 8th grade vocal music teacher.  He's gay.  He feared, maybe, should folks find out, it would really, really complicate life as he knew it in this world.  His 'friend' Joe would often come visit him at school. "Joe's just a really good friend" he'd tell the kids. Months later, a wedding was planned.  Secretive, or so he thought. Turns out, the kids had an inkling, got to know Joe, even helped arrange an extra plan for their wedding day.  Just as they were ready to go to the alter, in walk 34 eighth graders - all in a row, all to the front. On cue, this young choir wonderfully sang the Beatles "Love Is All You Need." Turn the video off? Speed dial the school board?

I cried.  A happy cry.

Me, me, me, me, me. No, that's not me exercising my lungs getting ready to sing, I only do that in the car, by myself. OK, OK, I did karaoke once, but it was in St. Thomas, however many thousand miles that is away from anyone else that could hear.  A couple years ago I got an affliction.  It's not deadly, it is forever, it has changed me, how I walk (very slow now), but hey, I got me a blue placard, no longer will I ever waste $3 of gas looking for a close spot at WallyWorld.  Anyways, at our HS Class reunion recently, I caught the eye of a buddy watching me.  This buddy and I were on the football team together. Ran track together.  I could tell he was sad.  Acknowledge and tell him "Hey, I'm ok!"

I silently thanked him for caring.  There is not a one of us spared from change. There were several who could not, did not attend the reunion due to health issues.  I'm lucky.  Happy.

I've friends who have cancer.  Progressive neurological issues.  Declining mental faculties.  They would not want pity.  Certainly, might ask for a prayer, and we'll all be happy to do so.  Point is, many worse off and damnit I wish we could change that for their better.

Much, much I miss.  Aging has a way of taking things from us, but then, we get to fill our hearts, souls, minds with so, so much more.  We are blessed with the capability to 'think young', hell to the yeah. We may change internally, but oh, our eyeballs STILL get to witness, status quo, hustle, bustle, love, youth - and that's an even better idea to fill our tanks than either regular ole regular petrol, or, recharging Tesla.

I've a buddy, roughly same age, recently had a stroke.  A shame for sure.  My mother had a massive one at age 56. Left side. Didn't effect her speech, she did walk but really never gained usage of her left arm.  She'd say "Different strokes for different folks." My buddy is still awaiting, hoping for movement in his left leg, none yet.  So, what's he do?

He laughs, jokes, exceedingly quick wit.  He came from wonderful roots.  He's aware of being thankful for whatya got, not whatya ain't. Inspiring he is.

Sure life can be cruel.  Observation, aging has taught us that.

In the time I've written this... gone back and corrected all the damn red-underlined misspelled words - my furnace has not shut off.

Thank you Spire.  Thank you furnace.  Thank you friends reading this.  We're seeing, experiencing the changing of the seasons.

The changing of much.

Where I work, customers are gratuitous, ie, there's a tip jar and they put ones, fives, quarters, nickels, dimes, pennies, all - in the jar.  If you happen to be sharing a shift with a co-worker, it's split 50-50. I once worked with a gal, not certain her age is important, but she was 18.  End of the day, we'd divvy it up.. I'd hand her her share of the change, "Oh, that's ok, thank you but I really don't like change, you keep it."

I will, and I thank God for the ability to see, appreciate change during change, all the while with the outlook of a youngster.

Have a hug.  Have a kiss.  Have a laugh. Senda 'how you doin?' text. Tell someone "hey, did I ever tell you how much I (appreciate you, am thankful for you, admire you, love you)?"

Well, i do.

Love, Victurd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks..........

 Once again, I made the dreaded mistake of, strolling, page by page thru the newspaper.  I do so virually every morning, and.... as I finall...