Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Feeling gooder.

I did Wordle today and I got it in three and I'm surely convinced it's because the word was SURLY.  I have admittedly, been that of late, and it's a bit like having a wonderful plate of IHOP pancakes (Yum!), eggs, sausage, coffee (wakeup and smile Victor it's GONNA be a good day, ie, "make it so"...................and then I realize there is syrup on pages 4, 5, 6 and 7 of the Sport's page, that's always where they stick articles on my beloved MU Tigers....sooooooo...

See? SURLY.

This morning at home, one eye on FB, one eye on the TV World News (kinda Marty Feldman-style I guess).. Certain you probably watched the Oscars, maybe not, dunno...anyways, when Dan Scheinert (and his coworker) won Best Director....in his speech he said

"I had a fantasy as a kid of winning an award and going up and telling off all the teachers that gave my brother and I detention so here goes......I'm just kidding, these are the teachers that changed my life....Ms. Dummier, Mr. Toole, Mr. Hudson, Mr. Chambers...(etc).. You guys educated me, you inspired me, you taught me to be less of a butthead,"

FEEL GOODER!  It DOES still work, it DOES still matter!

Then, World News tracked down Ms. Dummier... "I was sitting there doing a crossword puzzle (I'm your age ma'm, I get it) and I heard my, and other teacher names.... it was so nice to hear someone thanking public school teachers....sure I remember him, 4th grade...I don't really know what I did for him, I treated him like all the others...but I do know, if I see him again I'll run up and give him a big ole hug!"

FEELING GOODER AND GOODER!

This is where I backspaced out all the stupid judgmental stuff I was gonna spew about things I see in SOME youth today...

Victor, is this where you surly, oops, meant surely, lull us to sleep with another personal story?

Yes. It is.

Drove to see my 10 year old grandson's first ever (first ever, any sport) soccer practice. I was excited but my eyeballs were nowhere as big and excited as my grandson's. It conjured many a fine memory...as a kid...a parent... and a coach.  I'm fat, lazy and it was cold (32) so of course I sat inside my heater running, beat up old Caddy, outta earshot of the snotnoses (said lovingly) on the field.

Not 3 minutes into practice, grandson knocked on his 10 year old butt by a humongous 12 year old who most assuredly can write his name in cursive beautifully, frontwards...and backwards. BIG teaching/coaching/kid moment. He got up and did fine which made me think the coach handled it well by saying something like "good try" or maybe even saying nothing, allowing the kid to progress (or not) on his own. Kids are darn smart.

A few minutes later, they were arranged in positions. It was pretty obvious those on the back row were the smallest, youngest, and included my grandson (do not pass midfield, do not collect $200, no soup (or kicks on goal) for you. OK, I get it. We can live with a year of this (destined to defense only) for a year...bigger...smarter...front line next year...

Then the coach blew his whistle...at least I think he did, I had "You can't always get what you want" cranked 'cause it's my favorite song.

Well I'll be darned, I look up, and he'd switched. The little-bittys were on the "go try for a goal" frontline, and the behemoths were sequestered on the no-soup-for-you back row. I LIKE this coach!

FEEL GOODER AND GOODER!

Lessons. In life (and soccer) there will be times you'll get knocked on your butt. If you work hard, someone will give you a chance. And, no matter where you go there are pretty girls.

HUH? Yeah, three of 'em on his team.

Maybe one day in Heaven (fingers crossed) I'll be doing Sudoku, watching The World Cup and I'll hear this handsome young man thanking his pee wee soccer coach for encouraging him to get up when he got knocked on his can..."oh, and thanks to my Grandpa for helping me listen to really good music."

Victor? Yes? No advice for the little man on women?  DANG, and just when I was FEELING GOODER. Surly, er, I mean surely you jest. Jest a tad mebbe.

IT'S BEEN A GREAT TWO DAYS TO ASCERTAIN TEACHERS, COACHES DO STILL MATTER!

You can't always get what you want, but life is pretty dang good.

Love, Victurd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks..........

 Once again, I made the dreaded mistake of, strolling, page by page thru the newspaper.  I do so virually every morning, and.... as I finall...