Tuesday, August 1, 2023

1950

In going thru 'old junk' I ran across some writings, poetry of my father.  Twas after the War, a daughter born (Vanda, 1947), typed, fancily (HAD to be done by my mother).. from the University of Missouri, Columbia, MO - Modern Civ Class, the 28 year old wrote...........

#1
Must I heed each rule? 
Follow the leader? Play the fool?

Smile to all?  Hide contempt?
Go to church? Pay the rent?

Long for a life of merriment?
Punch a time clock?  Give 10 per cent?

Plan every hour -- sleep, work or play?
Must I always -- the social way?
-----------------------------------------------
#2
Exception, please!

Oh I'm for the comforts of home and all that.
With the book, the slippers and pipe.
And the fireside with logs sounds cozy--
At least later in life.

And I'm for the family circle,
The place to relax, enjoy life.
I'm for each comfort they mention, whatever,
With one huge exceptoin -- the wife!

(My mother was used to this!)
--------------------------------------------------
#3
Who?

Her dancing eyes go everywhere:
From man to man and then -- to me --
To someone else -- and back to me again.

I'm patient-- and I'm lucky too!
For is it any sin
That she's comparing them to me --
Or is it me to them?
----------------------------------------------------
#4

Try not to forget me before I reach the door.
Don't make it quite so plain that I'm such a bore.
Learn to be indulgent -- give me half a break.
You, too, might be a has-been, in life's give and take.

------------------------------------------------------
#5
Inside U.S.A.

Deep in, that is.
We boast with zest:
We're equidistant
East or West

No mountains (none)
To mar the view;
And oceans....
Neither of the two.

And climate?  Sure!
On this we're sold;
It's much too hot,
Then far too cold.

This Middle West (or East)
Is home.
But brother,
Would I love to roam!

'ED'itor's note.. my father, Edward Colby Schultze, LOVED moving, seeing, living many different places.  Much of this came from his youth, then from the Army.  His mother passed away when he was six, and it truly was a village that raised him in the various homes of aunts, uncles, his father, and Army barracks North, South, East and West.

On the move, and oh boy did we. We moved to Liberty (the 2nd time) around 1961.  I was nine and it was literally the 19th home I'd lived in. Dad's vagabond, but well intended, nature included (after I was born) St. Louis, St. Charles, Jefferson City, Denver, Colorado Springs, Liberty and quite a few homes within each. (I mighta missed a town or two also)

Finally, 1963, the same year the LHS Class of 1965 (soph's in '63) decorated the class Homecoming float in our back yard,  dad announced "We're moving" which, was fancy for, "I can make $100 more a month", or, "I've always wanted to live in _______" or, simply, "I've got an itch." A certain sophomore in that class, Vanda Kaye Schultze, dug her feet in and announced "OH NO WE'RE NOT!" Dad was smitten with his kids. So, we didn't.  Give me Liberty or give me death, so to speak, for the resta my life at least.

Love, Victurd


No comments:

Post a Comment

I couldn't sleep at all last night

Got to thinkin' of you Baby things weren't right Well I was tossin' and turnin' Turnin' and tossin' A tossin' an...