Monday, October 16, 2023

On a scale of one to ten......

I'm old, I'm tired, my legs hurt, this is a recording.

Retired, kinda sorta, yesterday was the fourth day in a row I worked at the little golf course nearby. For me, that's a lot as I usually only work on Thursday and Sunday. Whenever I hear someone grump, grown about something rather trivial, I sometimes chime in with "Crybaby!" yes, perhaps in hopes of self reflection, enlightening them to think "you're right, I'm a dummy, my problems are minute in comparison to others."

Doc, it hurts when I do this. Well, then don't do that.

I ambled to my car after work, and, the last few years of my amble ain't been a pretty sight. I have an affliction that makes me walk funny.  (Crybaby, Victor, you've told us that twenty times.)  Ok, sorry. Forgot.  I'm old, I'm tired, my legs hurt, I forgot.  The pain in those legs was roughly 5 after that fourth day in a row.

Then, I jumped in my car to go home, which, is fancy for, I hope you weren't looking.  It was more like the Hokey Pokey. I put my right foot in, I set my big butt down, I put my left foot in and I moaned until it hit the ground. (Crybaby.)

And then it happened. (Color me a "Cover band" writer. Have trouble being original. I write [steal] words, then I'm reminded of a dadgum song, I gotta Google that song to see whointheheck wrote it, what it was about, yada yada.  Shazam. And then I sometimes blog simularly [steal] the song.

And then it happened, it took me by surprise, I knew that you felt it too, by that look in your eyes.  Sweeter than wine, softer than a summer night, everything I want I have, whenever I hold you tight.

That Magic Moment, The Drifters.  Ahm, no. That ain't it. I mean, it was that song, but not what I meant...sorry, kinda, not really.

And then it happened. I pushed my door back open a tad so I could feel for the seatbelt, and as I did, I cursed General Motors because there are two plastic parts that come together, (NO, not the Beatles Come Together, sorry).. anyways, my dadgum thumb got stuck between the two plastic parts, my gut reaction was to yank it out as hard as I could, tried, it stuck,  and when I did it again it came out, but, I was just sure I severed the tip'a my thumb off. (Pain TEN Doc, I swear!). Didn't, pull the tip off, but daaaaayummm it hurt. "It's OK, the Hospital is on my way home, I'll swing in."  Oh, wait, it wasn't even bleeding.  But daaaaaaaayuummm it hurt, AND, there was a little crease, AND, it WAS red. (Crybaby). I know.  Bite me.

Where was I?  Oh yeah, playing the game "Ain't it awful." What goes up, must come down. (VICTOR, I know that one!  Spinnin' Wheel by BS&T!) Well, yeah, but I was talking more about, on a scale of one to ten, my pain went from a TEN, to mebbe a three or so as I drove home. Nothing a nap and mebbe a beer couldn't handle.

Then, reality, perspective jumped in. I read the news today (Victor, A Day in the Life, the Beatles, put that Shazam app away, I got this!)  Well, yes, and no. Tain't what I meant.

I meant I read the news. Article with quotes from the parent of a child in Israel who was kidnapped. OMG. The next headline was regarding a motorcycle involved in a crash. I didn't, couldn't read it. That never ends well.

I have sat here, my cursor blinking for almost an hour. Facebook. Someone who has lost, not one, not two, not three, but four.. Perceived purpose.. Chosen by God to tell the story. To help others, "know you did nothing wrong. Aware many don't believe, but, guess what? I love them, and they love me. It's OK to be mad, cry, take meds, talk to a professional. Know that people will say the wrong thing in attempt to console. Give them grace. Know that God loves you, I love you, and that you are strong."

This person is remarkable. What was written (and there was a lot more) is among the saddest, yet most beautiful words I've ever read. This person IS a 10.

Perspective. Pain level 10.

Yes, I walk funny.  Sure, my legs do hurt. In the scope of other's pain, by comparison, I may not even  register a 1. 

With every grump, grown, ache, pain - we must know, in comparison to many, we're blessed. It might have taken that awhile to sink in for me, but I know I am.

I love you too,

Victor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who is you?

  It's been hashed and rehashed - no, not that kinda hash ya dayum doped up hippies... it's been hashed and rehashed, I'm a simp...