Friday, October 6, 2023

Seventy to 70.......

MemoriesLight the corners of my mindMisty watercolor memoriesOf the way we were

A midsummer Friday evening, 1970-something....... "Hey Scooter?... What's going on? Whadda we gonna do tonight?"... "Well, the flag was up in WhiteHall, we're gonna go swimmin' , you know, like Popeye sang in that song, 'I'm Popeye the sailor man, I likes to  go swimmin' with bow legged women.', pick you up at 8 my friend, we'll make History."

70 trips around the sun... circa midsummer, 2023..  "Hey Scooter?  Whatup brother? What are we gonna do tonight?"... "Eh I dunno.. I kinda overdid it today.. mowed the yard, cleaned, had Popeye's chicken, went to the therapy pool... I'm gonna chill and watch the History Channel awhile, then prolly hit the hay around 8 my friend.... "

Scattered picturesOf the smiles we left behindSmiles we gave to one anotherFor the way we were

Back after the Chiefs won the Super Bowl looooooooooooooong ago, our Senior year in High School.  A game of golf at Claycrest, four whippersnappers sat. "Man, did  you see that dress Susie wore today?  She looked awesome!"  'I know, and ya know, and remember this past year, pulling for our Bluejays,  ALL of those gals that were on the cheerleading team, legs man, great legs.. and that's all I can think about... legs.".....

Shorty after the Chiefs won the Super Bowl, the second time they've done that in three years for us Senior Citizens, circled around after a game of golf at a nearby par 3 golf course.. "Man did you see that new golf cart that one lady got? It's nicer than any car I've ever owned, some 401K I bet."..  "Yep, and it beats the hell outta walking. No more pullin' pull carts for me out amongst the robins and the bluejays.  My legs just ain't what they usedta be since I got that new left hip and right knee. Day and night, night and day, legs man, they greatly groan at me, and that's all I can think about...  legs."

Can it be that it was all so simple then?Or has time re-written every line?If we had the chance to do it all againTell me, would we?Could we?

Then........ collecting Coke bottles to help supplement our fun.. reading the 40 Star Survey... Slip sliding away down the hill at Jewell Hall on a snowy day... I think I'm gonna dress like a bum again this Halloween...  Nomme, a witch again this year. We'll fill our pillowcases, run home, grab some graham crackers, marshmellows, of course the two full size Snickers from our bag, make s'mores by the fire.

Now........ wearing Coke bottle lenses.. arms extended to supplement reading the size 10 type of the KC Star..  Easy chair, exhausted from damn near slip sliding after transferring outta the shower, "Handing out candy this Halloween?"  "Nah.. me and the witch, of course you know said lovingly, we're gonna be bums, leave the light off.. Netflix, chill, but, not the kinda Netflix and chill you're thinking.:" S'more'a the same these last ten or so years. That fire inside ran out some time ago, and that's ok, we're still good.

MemoriesMay be beautiful and yetWhat's too painful to rememberWe simply to choose to forget

Flat belly days.... "Dadgum them skeeter bites itch! Hey, let's jump in the Biscayne and follow that skeeter fogger truck!  See how close we can get without runnin' into 'em!"

Belly donelap (over) days.. "Come on Ralph, we're gonna hop in the Taurus, foller' GPS to the Piggly Wiggly.. these damn cataracts, sooooo foggy to drive, we GOTTA be home before dark and we run inta something. Dadgum old age bites."

So it's the laughterWe will rememberWhenever we rememberThe way we wereThe way we were

The way we were:  Hop, run, jump. Sprint. Baseball, hot dogs and Chevrolet. Ballcards clothes pinned to our bicycle spokes. A bit later, driver's license, "I'm gonna wait.. till the midnight hour before we head out, you know, set the pace for us dudes. Paradise by the dashboard lights.  Low road, William Jewell College.  The hell were we thinking? And now I'm praying for the end of time....

The way we are:   Hip (pain), (get the) runs. Jump?  Are you crazy? Spectrum. Sudoku, Always Save Beenie Weenies, Boost, pave the way. Tennis balls penned under the front legs of our walkers.  Midnight?  Wait,, yeah, I remember him, a poodle mix we owned back in the day. I couldn't keep up with him nowadays, the pacemaker and all. Frisky?  "Eh, not tonight Honey. I do love you and I pray we wakeup in each others arms in the morning though."

Were.

Are.

Beats the hell outta Was, right Babs?

Love, Victurd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Uncertainty is the only certainty........... Weight for it........

Criminy, Victurd's off on a tangent again. Yeah mebbe.  I was reading an article about the NFL's new kickoff rule... (Victor, you ta...