Monday, November 27, 2023

From the corner barstool... What's love got to do, got to do with it......

In the 'who cares' department, another same ole same ole evening.  Asleep way too early. Back awake at 11pm.  Breakfast. Uh huh, breakfast.  Plunged back to bed, but.. not for long, coffee brewing.  Insteada Victor Schultze, me thinks my name should be Abby Normal..  but.. it is who I is. Part of the lyrics of the song of the fraternity I was in mentions something about 'my collars and cuffs' always being in a state of disarray. It's a me it's a me it's a me ole blog readers. 

Blank blog staring at me.  First thought, don't make it about yourself.  Damnit darnit, strike one

Then, somehow the name Dean Smith crossed my brain. So, of course, Wiki.  Born 1931 in Emporia, KS, both parents were teachers.  In fact, dad coached the Emporia High Spartans to the State Championship in 1934. That team had the very first African American in Kansas tournament history. I liked that. Apparently Dean learned too as well.

In a rather large nutshell, Dean went to, played at KU (Victor, don't make this about you.. I know, but that's MU's ARCH rival, so not too much ink here, sorry, kinda, not.) Anyways, played for Phog Allen (rings a bell) who had played for the dadgum guy that invented basketball. (Borrowed dadgum from Roy Williams, sorry Roy, kinda)...Dean majored in Communcation.  Fitting. He did that, for a lifetime.

Coaching pit stops included KU, the Air Force Academy, and finally assistant coach at North Carolina for three years.  Head coach fired for major recruiting scandal. Chancellor offered Dean head job, Dean accepted, agreeing to the stipulation "wins and losses don't matter as much as running a clean program and representing the university well."  NC de-emphasized basketball, cutting the schedule to only 17 games, they finished 8-9 (the ONLY losing season Coach Smith would have), lost to Wake Forest, returned home after the game to find he was hung in effigy on campus.

His coaching style was calm, innovative, VERY successful, and full of love. He went on to (at time of retirement) hold the record for most wins, 17 ACC titles, 11 Final Fours, 2 National Championships, 25 NBA first round picks, 25+ former players coached on the NCAA level, many, in the NBA. He 'invented' huddling during a free throw (communication), having the guy who just scored a bucket point to the guy who passed him the ball (communication), raising a fist if you need a breather during the game (communcation)... much.

96.6% of his players graduated with a college degree. In his will he gave each and every player he'd ever coached $200 "to go have a nice meal on Coach Smith." He recruited the first African American to play at NC, helped an African American grad student purchase a home in an all white neighborhood, pushed for equal treatment for African Americans at local businesses. UConn coach Jim Calhoun, on Dean's passing, said "Dean's influence, however, went far beyond basketball coaching. His work with desegregation and women's rights showed what an equally incredible person he was. What he means to the people of North Carolina is immeasurable."

Michael Jordan, hey, I've hearda him, on Dean's passing "Other than my parents, no one had a bigger influence on my life than Coach Smith," Jordan said in a statement. "He was more than a coach -- he was my mentor, my teacher, my second father. Coach was always there for me whenever I needed him and I loved him for it. In teaching me the game of basketball, he taught me about life. 

Bottomline, love.

Then, Tina's song went to my brain. I'm a simpleton. I listen to the beat mainly, the lyrics not so much. Turns out, this song is about carnal escapade(s) with no emotional attachment, ie, love.  Tina hated it. Didn't wanna do it. I think we all know of the years she was abused in her relationship. Anyways, she finally consented.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too longa blog Victor, stop. Sorry, strike two.

Sorry, can't.  My brain keeps coming back to the word Love.  Love's got a lot to do, a lot to do with our lives.

Some find it (relationship-wise), blessed forever and ever.  The best. Some find it, yum, like a mylar balloon, all shiny and upright, then, derailment happens, up, up and away goes that beautiful that beautiful balloon, up. up and away. Hey, it happened. It was in the grasp. Counts! And, thankful for. Some never find relationship love. Could be by choice, happenstance, whatever.. that said:

Suffice, that there be ALL KINDS OF LOVE.  Familiarity. That's the kinda love (platonic) one develops for someone, at a moment in time (varying lengths of time) where there's simply that feel good, quick, loving smile the next time ya see 'em.  Yum.

Family love.  Oh sure, we know there are exceptions, but, family, WHAT BETTER? Speakinowhich (VICTOR! DON'T LECTURE!), bite me. I've seen WAAAAAAAY TOO MANY families prosper, go on and on, yet, fear ever ever winging that L word........until it's too late. Then, they live with the R word (regret) forever and ever.  Don't do dat.  Let it all hang out, SAY IT, SAY IT, SAY IT, it really ain't hard and it feels perty damn good. Scratch that, it feels REALLY damn good.

Love of children.  Pets. Art. Sports. Lakes rivers oceans water. Travel. Staycations. Work (hey, it's possible!) Coworkers (Hey, it's possible!) Bosses (Hey, it's possible!) The Seasons: Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall, all you gotta do is call, text, write, go see, smile, hug, love, love, love.

Love of chocolate, Chili Chees Fritos, Lays potato chips (Betya can't eat just one), Beer (betya can't drink just one. You are prolly right) Laying on sheets that were dried on the clothesline, a bargain, a new outfit, new shoes, nice car, camping, fishing, golf, bunco, a little league game, a 2nd grade vocal concert, Valentine's Day, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving, the 83 shopping days of Christmas. Christmas, birds, as in ornithophile (lover of birds) or, birder for short.  And.. a partridge in a pear tree. Forgot to mention oranges, mulberries, strawberries, kiwi, apples, yada.

There is so damn much stuff to love......

What's love got to do, got to do with it (life).

Everything pretty much.

I even love corner barstools.  I write too damn much, but I really ain't conversational.

BRB, I've decided to go love the day.  That's hard for us all sometimes. Why not though, ya know?

WAIT!  I forgot Baseball.  Baseball Ray.  Too late, strike three, you're out(ta here).

Love, Victurd

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Old Lady that Swallowed the Fly.......

I know an old lady She swallowed a fly But I don't know why She swallow the fly I guess she'll die Victor...... why do you put us th...