Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Backing the Chevy Brookwood Wagon down the hill to 1960 - something...

You can't do that... 

I know, but wouldn't it be fun?

Many conversations with people in my, maybe our, age range.  "I know I'm old, can't control my body, but I still think young."  I feel we all do.

Are you in the Christmas spirit yet? Maybe you're sliding like me and you need a boost too.

I have such, such fond memories of Christmas as a child.  You? It was a time of family, of City, of happiness in the air.

Kiwana's, the Boy Scouts and the like would setup temporary Christmas Tree lots in grocery stores, car dealers, hardware store lots... This was the era too the Silver aluminum Christmas trees.  Anyone have the 'color wheel' light (three colors) that looked like a little fan that rotated the colors across the tree?  If my cousins and I were lucky, we go to accompany Grandpa in the car to the country where he'd eyeball, and chop down a nice cedar for the house.

The ornaments, the liquid bulbs (my personal fav!), and of course, strands and strands of tinsel strung about the tree. Don't forget the angel on top! The gal cousins might even make strands of popcorn to put atound.  Festive. I remember, after Christmas, tree down, bulbs, ornaments put away, finding strands of tinsel here and there well into February!

Our City.  Your City? There was a huge pine tree at the triangle on Mill Street.. Annually the Ladie's Garden Club would decorate it with HUGE bulbs, then, they'd fetch the Fire Department and ladder to put a huge star atop.

Downtown merchants dressed the windows wonderfully, sure, in spirit, but also, hoping to keep the locals from driving to the City or to Antioch to shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Old Lady that Swallowed the Fly.......

I know an old lady She swallowed a fly But I don't know why She swallow the fly I guess she'll die Victor...... why do you put us th...