Saturday, March 16, 2024

More sports? Yuck!

Some might say, eh?

Time.  How do you spend it? It is, mebbe, the most important thing we do... spend time. I LOVE to nap, but I've also heard, "you snooze, you lose." I don't think that's quite what is meant by that.. I think sleep IS important, mebbe too much ain't good.

Adjusting.  Gotta buddy who has just retired after 50 years of steady, solid, work, same company.  He admits to struggling a bit to get accustomed to, figure out how, what, to do with his time.

"Do you like to read?  I've got tons of paperbacks.. I never usedta read, found, I really enjoy it," a buddy offered.  No, not really...

While my retired buddy settles into his new role, and with advance apologies, I'll retreat to just a hair of me, me, me again.

Aye yai yai Victor. I know, sorry.  Kinda.  Figuring out how to spend one's time, I guess, is kinda like sitting in a restaurant, looking at a menu. Before ya get to the "yes", you kinda rule out stuff.

For me (sorry, kinda) I rule out reading books.  Most TV shows, movies... any kinda hobby... shade tree mechanic - hell to the no, gardening, collecting...  I'm antsy.  I like:

Reading about sports.  Not all sports, not all articles.  My digital subscription with local big ole paper usually offers around 85 pages of sports a day.  I read maybe seven pages entirely.  I'm not so hep on "he had a homer and a double in four at bats" as I am on the PSYCHOLOGY within sports.  Whipped cream, so to speak.

HUH?  Whipped cream?  Yes, whipped cream.  My buddy Tip, his hound pooch Millie, was mostly "leave it" when it came to dry food and the choice of "Love it or leave it."  Worry, thinking set in.  Green beans atop the dry food worked a tad, but even specialer (is that a word?) was Millie's thirst, hunger, fervor, hell to the yeah when he'd spray some Whipped Cream atop.  Yum, yum, devour devour.

That's me (sorry, kinda) in reading sports.  Sports, with a message.

Victor, DON'T compliment KU, you HATE KU.  Hate is a strong word there Sonny Boy, but right you are, KU is MU's (yum yum, my whipped cream team) dire enemy.

That said.  Psychology and Sports (and yeah, KU) interwoven this morning.  Jerod Haase. He played at KU some years ago.  Ya hadta (even if you too are an MU fan) love the guy.  They created a team award in his honor. "The Floor Burn Award", a stat that monitors extra effort such as diving for the ball.  That was the kinda player he was...  Same as a coach.

Well... he just got fired.

He started as an assistant at KU and North Carolina, got the head coaching job at UAB, did a bang up job, got the job as head coach at Stanford eight years ago.

Victor, this is boring.  Eh, you're probably right.  He was fired immediately following Stanford's loss to Washington State in the Pac 12 tourney last night. As in, fired just after walking off the court. Reasonable success at THE most difficult college to get into in the United States due to their academic standards, requirements.

So? Go get in your car? Cuss, throw, kick, spit, have a stiff drink? Holler on the way out "what an idiot the AD is"...????

No, he went to the podium to face reporters (after he addressed his team, shared the news).  His first words, “I don’t know exactly what I’m going to do, but I’m going to chase awesome,” said Haase, who promised that he has “a next chapter and hopefully many chapters in my book. Hopefully I can be around people like I’ve been around the last eight years.”  YES, Ms. (or Mr) Waitress (Waiter),  I'd like THAT off the menu.

Sports, psychology.  You?  Mebbe a Hallmark movie?  Onea them chef contests on the Food Channel?  Thursday night bunko, bowling, wine club? B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O?  Walking the hound?  (I DO love that, ain't got one at present.)

I scour the sports section, and nearly every dadgum time (at least from my Chuck Taylor's) I think I find wisdom, life help, yum stuff to choose from the menu.

Morgan Wootten.   WHO?

Morgan Wootten.  He was mebbe THE most successful High School Basketball Coach EVER.  He did OK. OK as in 5 National Championships..  33 Conference Championships from 1956 to 2002.  WOW! He musta, since he was from that era, had a really nifty paddle to git their butts in gear, cussed like a sailor, kept parents, administrators outta the gym so they wouldn't see his methods yeah?

No.

True basketball coaches are great teachers and you do not humiliate, you do not physically go after, you do not push or shove, you do not berate, if you are a true coach. If you humiliate or curse them, that won’t do it. Coaches like that are not coaches.Morgan Wootten.

Still kinda bored here Victor.  HEY!  I understand, but, if you were a bloggin', and you were teaching about...say, "How to attach, grow, morning glories on a 4 by 8 piece of lattice", I'd listen!  (Mebbe a tad because Morning Glories were my mom's fav!)

Mr. Wootten's philosophy, I would call it.. KISS.  As in Keep It Simple Stupid.  We all like kissing yeah?

"If a boy's No. 1 reason for coming is to play basketball, he'll never make it here," the coach said. "His priorities are out of whack."  Dematha Catholic High School, Hyattsville, MD.  "A De Matha player always has his priorities in the proper order: God first, family second, school and studies third."

"Certainly, we think basketball is important, but it ranks below those three. I tell my teams to not let basketball use you, you use basketball. No matter how long you play, they're going to take the basketball out of your hands some day. They took it away from Dave Bing. They took it away from Elgin Baylor. And John Havlicek, no matter how great he was, they took it away from him, too."

"And when they take the basketball away from you, you've still got a lifetime to live. You better be ready as a man."

OK, I'll get out of your hair.   No, one more. One more from KU again (patooey kinda sorta, but, respect.)  Mark Mangino.  Great, yet, once fired football coach.  "Mark, whadda ya been doing in these last ten years since you were head coach at KU?"  Listening more and talking less.

How you gonna spend your time today?  What's your favorite Morning Glory color?  What's the latest Netflix binge watch show?

I see Survivor is on. I think I'll take a break and watch that.  Maybe Jerod Haase is on it. If so, I bet he wins.

Love, Victurd

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Old Lady that Swallowed the Fly.......

I know an old lady She swallowed a fly But I don't know why She swallow the fly I guess she'll die Victor...... why do you put us th...