Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Blue skies......

Color me weird, but you knew that.

I love to sit outside... and observe any, everything in the eyeball's way......

I thoughta that song... Blue skies, smilin' at me... 

Many pounds, wrinkles, years ago, I liked to dig.  Somewhere around the time I passed my driver's test, had'a job, bucks in my billfold - I bought a  cheapy metal detector.  Digging, detecting, it's kinda like uncertainties of life, the skies... ya hear that beep-beep-beep, bend down (hell to the no I wouldn't/couldn't do that hobby now) and DIG.  Who knows what you'll unearth.  Usually one'a the old metal tab thingies off the top of a pop.. or'a chunk of foil.. but occasionally, a penny, nickel or dime.. if you were lucky, it would be a Wheat penny, or mebbe a Bufalo nickel... twas fun.  You dig?

Back to sitting outside.  Ya just never know what the eyes, ears will dig up.  The sky is usually a wonderfully diverse example, no matter what hemi you live in.

I got my 'metal detector' thingy (in this case, Wiki) to dig a bit further about the song Blue Skies, smiling at me.  I usually think'a Willie or Ella and their versions..  after digging... It was written in 1926 by Irving Berlin as a last minute addition to the Rodgers and Hart musical Betsy.  While the show only ran for 39 performances - the song Blue Skies was a huge hit. If you're old like me, think back to an obliging Ed McMahan asking Johnny "How huge was it?"

Belle Baker played the lead in the play and of course, sang Blue Skies..  Opening night, after Blue Skies, there were twenty-four encores (I went back and reread to make sure I read that correctly, yep, 24.)  On the very last rendition, Belle forgot the lyrics to the song, Berlin was sitting in the front row - thus, he began singing them.

My metal detector, after s'more damn digging, learned, the next year this song was sung by Al Jolson in the very first talkie movie, the Jazz Singer... 

OK Victor, ,we get all that crap, but what's it got to do with you sitting, staring at the skies?  

LOTS, me thinks.  Sometimes ya look up, it's simply blue.  A beautiful blue, but it don't do much.  Last night as I sat outside - there were very low HUGE clouds 'moving like 60' (If any of you Liberty folks remember teacher Ms. Bonita Allen saying).. the clouds, they was a movin fast.  WAY UP ABOVE the moving like 60 clouds..  big, white puffy ones, and they wasn't going nowheres.  Ain't that like life?  To me, Si.  Hurry (usually a youthful 'trait') and, "that's Uncle Joe he's a movin' kinda slow at the Junction", them clouds up above.

About that time my ears kicked in.  Across the street, a local 'Jam session'.  "You have instrument (or even justa singing voice) come, play, sing."  There was a young lass..  I'm guessing 12 or 13, gutsy, and so, so very good. She sang like 60, never missed a beat.. by herself, later with a dude strumming.. refreshing, akin to them fast, low clouds up in the kinda blue sky.

Next, a lady, I'ma guessing she gets a monthly Social Security check, sang acapella.  She too, very nice, smooth voice. She did get held up (kinda like Belle did), but for only a second until she flipped the page continue the lyrics, but, hells bells, there are days I wakeup and haveta check the pillbox just to see what day it is.

Then, another feller.  Goatee...  kinda a nifty looking one.. like, he'd been growing it mebbe 8 or 10 years before the young going like 60 gal was born. His music was enjoyable as well.

Blue skies.  Diverse.

Life, people, diverse.

Finally, later last night......... last view..... Gray. Sky was gray, Clouds gone, blue was transitioning to night. Across the street, silence, accompanied by empty chairs.

I'm a simpleton.  The night, the skies, the people, the music, the errors, the wonder, the digging... I canardly await today, tomorrow, for one just never knows what life will dig up.

More coffee.  Mebbe a nap later. All, akin to putting new AAA batteries in my 'metal detector.'

I never saw the sun shining so brightNever saw things going oh-so rightNoticing the days hurrying byWhen you're in *love, my how they fly
Blue daysAll of them goneNothing but blue skiesFrom now on

*Editor's note, or, Victurd's note..  In 'love' with life.

Peace out.............. Victurd

PS:  I know Ms. Allen meant really fast when referring to 'going like 60'..  now, seems like that (age 60) mighta been the last time I moved really fast.  OK, right you are, kinda fast.

PSS.. I always get confused on whether it's GREY or GRAY.  Metal detector beep beep beeped Google, learned GRAY is more common in the US, and GREY is more common in the rest of the English speaking World.  Ahm, still... that's kinda grey... or gray to me, whatever. (Victor, you need a hobby)  Bite me, writing my blog IS a hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the music.........

Gimme a break, gimme a break, break me offa piecea that Kit Kat Bar.. Time out ref. I'm on break boss.. . back in fitteen. "Not ton...