Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Her name was Lola.........

Almost everything is up to date in Kansas City.......

Victor.  You forget.  We've been in (WA, SoCal, FL, STL, IL SW Mo, Larryville, TX, CO, wherever else) soooooooooooooooooooo long... our connection to Kansas City represents (hold your index finger and thumb up, allowing just a pinch of light 'tween) that, about that long... write about something else.....

Too bad, so sad, sorry........... but not really.  I ain't such an idiot to realize Liberty, MO... Kansas City aren't THE only good, fun, nice places in the US.... there are many communities, big cities, yada... that are Piggly Wiggly sliced bread great too.  It's just that......... consider......

Oh boy.. here he comes with that Patrick Mahomes crap...he'll prolly add in some junk about Travis and Taylor... Jake from State Farm, the Eras Tour, yada...  "3 Super Bowls Championships in 5 years"...... enuff Victor, enuff.

Hey.  I get it. I remember admiring (hating) The stinking Yankees in the 70's... Elway/Denver.. Manning/Indy... Manning/Denver...  Brady/Pats,again and again and again... we ain't been 'in this seat' for a long time... pardon me if I wave out the window like, how's that homecoming queen do it?  Kinda keep the arm stiff, rotate the wrist in wave?

And then The Royals...  VICTOR!  STOP.  No. PLEASE? Huh uh.  They are in Cleveland. Cleveland is in first place.  We whooped  their butt (twice) yesterday. Win tonight, TIED for first place!

OK........ enough about Sports....  Thank Goodness.......

Other good stuff is happening in town.  Why, just last night...  As all of these aging musicians, groups have their "I promise this is my last tour, never eva' again, once more before we keel, just one more beer, please"......... Barry Manilow was in town for his One Last Time Tour.

Victor?  So?  So, he did/does good.  How so?  A few years back, prolly on his "Next To Last Time Tour", he caught wind of a high school band teacher who had taken a part time job to buy music instruments for the kiddos because the School District couldn't/wouldn't. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo....... EACH and every City on his One Last Time I Promise My Hands Ain't Behind My Back So My Fingers Ain't Crossed Tour... he's giving $10,000 to a 'handpicked' High School Music Teacher.  Half of the dough goes toward buying instruments for that teacher's school district - the other half goes to the teacher him/herself, as we know fer sure they're underpaid.  Oh Mandy, that's cool.

OK, thanks Victor.. Seeya tomorrow.

Wait.  I ain't done. Wait justa gol' durn' minute.  Hold on a peapicking sec.

Dolly is here today.  Oh, OK Victor, thanks. Prolly for her One Last Tour/Scene With Jolene?  Nuh uh.  This really ain't about Kansas City.. it's about kids.  Doing good with kids, which Dolly most certainly does.  She's traversing the State of Missouri to promote her Imagination Library.

Dolly says, "Before he passed away, my Daddy told me the Imagination Library was probably the most important thing I had ever done. I can’t tell you how much that meant to me because I created the Imagination Library as a tribute to my Daddy. He was the smartest man I have ever known but I know in my heart his inability to read probably kept him from fulfilling all of his dreams."

Of course she notes "I haven't done this alone, I've had A LOT of help."  The gist, any child in the US, by signing up, can get one book a month mailed to them until they are five years old. Holy guacamole that's a lotta books (TWO MILLION A MONTH!) and can you imagine how many lil snotnoses should be able to spell guacamole with all them books?  You go Dolly.  Your daddy SHOULD be proud.

OK, Victor. DONE?  Hope so.

Sorry.......... One more.  Dogstar.  WHO? WHAT? You're gonna brag about a damn dog in Kansas City?  Nuh uh.  I'm gonna brag about Keanu Reeves and his band, Dogstar.  They're in KC at the Uptown Theater (I think tomorrow) and a buddy has tickets, gets to meet Mr. Reeves backstage.

I just included this because I LIKE GOOD.  Say what you want, the Chiefs have been perty good. The Royals, well, we're from The Show Me State, but, they're getting pretty good.  Thenya got Manilow (band instrument buyer giver outter), Dolly (book after book after book, FREE)..  and Keanu.  Whatabout Keanu Victor?

He's cool, that's what.  His sister battled leukemia, he founded a private cancer foundation, which aids children's hospitals and provides cancer research.  He actually voluntered, stayed for a Camp for kids with cancer in Idaho.  We've heard about how generous he is with coworkers in his movies..  $20,000 to one whose family was having a financial crisis..  12 new Harley's as a way to say thanks to all the stunt members of The Matrix Reloaded..  He's done, given much.

That's about it. Everything is now up to date in Kansas City. Sorry (not) for braggin', and thanks for listening.

VICTOR?

Huh?

Whatthehell is "Her name was Lola" about?

Oh, that's from Manilow's song Copacabana. 1978.  I've lived a life of not really paying great attention.  ADHD to this specific song, prolly ADHD to ACDC and the Village People's YMCA.  I'm sorry, AOK?

I've heard the song a kajilliion times.  I never paid attention to the fact Lola, a showgirl, had fallen in love with Tony, the barkeep, and that.. some dude name Rico had gone a bit too far as Lola danced... Tony came to her rescue..  Rico zapped the poor guy with his pistol.. 

And........... well............ let's let Paul Harvey tell the rest.........

Her name is Lola
She was a showgirl
But that was 30 years ago
When they used to have a show
Now it's a disco, but not for Lola
Still in the dress she used to wear
Faded feathers in her hair
She sits there so refined
And drinks herself half-blind
She lost her youth, and she lost her Tony
Now she's lost her mind
Point is............ with all the crap of today...... we needs us some good. There is much out there. In KC, and in every city in America.
Good day.  (Uh huh, it is)
Love, Victurd

No comments:

Post a Comment

The eyes have it...

Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes. She's got Bette Davis eyes.  She’s not just captivating in her looks, she’s got the...