Tuesday, October 15, 2024

He ain't heavy.......

The road is longWith many a winding turnThat leads us to who knows where, who knows whereBut I'm strongStrong enough to carry himHe ain't heavy, he's my brother
In 1917, in Omaha, Nebraska - Father Edward Flanagan, a Catholic priest, founded Boys Town... a home for where troubled or homeless boys could come for assistance.  It's said, in 1941, Father was looking at a magazine, came across a picture of a boy who was carrying a younger boy on this back, and the caption on the picture was "He ain't heavy Mr., he's my brother.".....
… So on we goHis welfare is of my concernNo burden is he to bearWe'll get there
'Story' #2 precedes the above, and relates there was a child Father saw in 1921... he wore heavy leg braces... the boys would take turns carrying the child on their backs... In 1938, the movie Boys Town came out, starring Spencer Tracy as Father Flanagan, and Mickey Rooney as one of the boys..- and in a sequel a few years later, when asked, "why, how come you do that?"" they answered with the phrase "He ain't heavy, he's my brother" several times.
The song was written in 1969 by Bobbie Scott and Bob Russell as Russell was dying from lymphoma.   It was originally recorded by Kelly Gordon the same year.... then, it was offered to Joe Cocker (decided not to record it)... and of course, the Hollies - who made it a huge hit. Some feller named Reg was a session musician and sat in on the piano for the recording - making a total of £12... he later went by the stage name Elton John.
… For I know
He would not encumber meHe ain't heavy, he's my brother 
If you were to travel to Omaha to Boys Town, you'd find several commissioned statues of a boy carrying a boy.
… If I'm laden at allI'm laden with sadnessThat everyone's heartIsn't filled with the gladnessOf love for one another
For me, the basic message is compassion. Humans are amazing.  One could substitute many of the following for ".... he ain't heavy... he's my _______" husband, wife, child, parent, grandparent, brother, sister, neighbor, good friend, niece, nephew, aunt, uncle.  Examples, beautifully, abound across the land... this State, that County, the next town, neighborhood over, our block...... perhaps even, our home.
… It's a long, long roadFrom which there is no returnWhile we're on the way to thereWhy not share?
… And the loadDoesn't weigh me down at allHe ain't heavy, he's my brother
Life, in and of itself, is like juggling three hacky sacks... difficult.  We frequently drop one, lose one, get one dirty... message, it's dayum difficult.  THEN, ya toss in a medicine ball in addition to the juggling balls of everyday life - and, I just don't see how folks do it, but they do.
… He's my brotherHe ain't heavy, he's my brotherHe ain't heavy, he's my brother

We all.......... ALL.... have moods, aches, pains, indigestion, bad hip, leg, back, difficulty hearing, seeing, money woes, "I don't wanna (days)", car problems, job worries, some friends, loved ones that, perhaps in the past, have let us down.

Nonetheless... the amazing creatures in our land juggle those three balls... accept (without complaint) the medicine ball thrown in....... and go about the day silently, remarkably.

Cheers to all who wear the t-shirt of 'he ain't heavy, he's my brother'... as well as to those who are the brother, the one in need.

Love, Victurd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Need.......

(Editor's note.. I went back, as always, and reread before I hit 'send'/publish...and it really makes no sense... sorry... kinda...