Football. Eww. Gimme a break, and I don't mean a chunk of the dayum Kit Kat Bar... I mean, you ALWAYS talk sports and I've had my fill of it!
Football. At the end of the day, I love sports. Sorry kinda, not really. I would say, I'm not quite as all-consumed today as I was however long ago... but I still very much enjoy.
"My football team", ie, the one I root for, won. With the exception of last year, they've had a pretty nice run. If you read the Sport's page, sure, there will be naysayers. If you peek at what folks say after, it ranges from "a win is a win' to "Run, look out, the sky is falling."
At the end of the day, we won. Had we not, sure, disappointment woulda set in, but then, I took the average pay of an NFL rookie ($885,000) and divided it by 17 games... thus, had the day ended otherwise, I can see 'em taking their helmet, pads, etc off, flying home, arriving late... at the end of the day, placing their head on the pillow... "Now I lay me down to sleep....I wonder how much, today I make?" One-seventeenth is $52,058.82. Hard to feel badly for them... right, schoolteachers, preachers, part-time golf course clubhouse attendants?
Money ain't everything.
Much is measured at the end of the day. Did good happen? Did you help to make it happen? Did you make someone feel good/better about themselves? Are you really rough on yourself and it's hard to find happiness at the end of the day?
Victor? Yeah? You change your last name to Olsteen? Funny haha..
What's really important at the end of the day?
Well, two quick examples.
I awakened to a text this morning from a friend (sent at 8:22 pm) asking me if I've heard from a mutual friend. It's obvious as I age, my end of the day is earlier and earlier and earlier... I hadn't. So, I'll contact friend today and apologize for going to bed early.
Next, the early morning Wordle battle with youngest niece... a few months back we'd had a nice lunch with cousins, second-cousins, and one had contacted her with "Let's do it again" and my niece included "She mighta texted you too, I dunno." I looked. She hadn't. So, I texted my niece back 'She likes you best.. I'm never talking to either of you, ever again." Takes care of that.
In all seriousness... Can you imagine, the "At the end of the day" people in our city, county, state, land, family, extended family, work family, church family, in the World - the trials and tribulations that accompany their "At the end of the day" feel? Illness. Loss. Abuse. Addiction. Food insecurity. Unemployment. Divorce/Separation with the possible scenario of a non-working spouse allofasudden 'inheriting' a $1600 a month rent payment, expectations to fill the fridge to feed three mouths, buy them clothes, shoes, take the sick dog to the vet. How could you sleep with all that going through your brain?
We know, ya just never know the at the end of the day of others.
Trust me, I've done my share of "Blurt hurt" in the past and I'm certainly not proud of that. I guess we could all lighten the load on life......... make that head hitting the pillow a little more comfy - if we're simply kind. Sadly, so, so many don't even have a pillow, bed, housing for that. Help others when we can. Think, 5 seconds before replying - especially if it's something that's taken you back, or by surprise.
At the end of the day.......it's storming somewhere. It's incredibly cold/hot somewhere else. incredible pain within. Worry about loved ones perhaps off the path. More bills than bucks. Perfection just simply doesn't happen.
Harmony can be tough to achieve.
At the end of the day.. it shouldn't be though, should it?
No comments:
Post a Comment