Wednesday, October 19, 2022

S-U-C-C-E-S-S, that's the way we spell SUCCESS......

I remember being 17, on the basketball team.  Prior to a game, we'd be in the locker room downstairs - the cheer and the foot stomping from gymnasium floor above was accompanied by the Cheer "Waitin'.... waitin'...  waitin' on the Bluejays."  We weren't able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, but, gotta admit, the Adrenalin got going a tad and it DID make you jump a little higher.  FYI, me and Mr. Bundy both played HS football, AND, I once dunked a tennis ball.  SUCCESS yeah?  Hehe.

Then, somewhere along the way during the game, the cheer  "S-U-C-C-E-S-S, that's the way we spell SUCCESS......" came out.  Usually early in the game, cause we'd oft times be down fitteen in the second half and then the cheer sounded kinda silly.

We finished the year 7 and 14.  Most would say that ain't very successful.

What is success in life?  What makes up a successful life? (This is where the blog writer probably is going to tell you that, which, of course, is bull-hockey, but, I blog, it's what I do.)

Of course I went straight to Google.  Found an article "9 tips for how to find success in life."  Learned "Success is often defined as the ability to reach your goals in life. In some ways, a better word for success might be attainment, accomplishment, or progress."  I've always drank coffee insteada tea, but, kinda scratching my head this definition ain't really my cup of tea, as in, myehh...

I felt somewhat validated in the opinion when I read on and the writer related "Success is often defined as accomplishing your personally-defined goals in life. Because goals are sef-created....."  Huh?  And I said to myself, "SEF?" What the L happened to the L?  S-U-C-K-E-S-S, that's the way my proofreader spells SUCCESS. (Side note, AT&T just opened a store in the town where I work, Kearney, MO.  Boo-koo ads to announce same on Facebook.  They spell Kearney as Kearny.  REAL E?  OK, OK, I admti occasionally a typo or four here.

Where was I?  Oh yeah.  There were parts of the article I liked.  In spite of someone doing well at work, having a high salary, reaching professional goals and accomplishments, maybe that leaves out important parts of the puzzle like family, romantic relationships, academics, athletics, yada.

Success, it is said, is kinda like anything.  There is no one answer.

Nuther article suggested "it's never too late to start over" and referenced Oprah getting fired from her first broadcasting job at age 23... Micheal Jordan getting cut from his 8th grade basketball team.. at age 62, the 'Kernel' himself started Kentucky Fried Chicken. I actually thought it was spelled Colonel, but what the L, they been leaving them out anyways.

I could, thru personal observation, add to the above list.  My buddy R ate glue in 3rd grade Art Class. Nuther buddy, L, pooped his drawers almost weekly in first grade.  Hell, I walked at the age of 8 months, HIGH HOPES for me then look what happened!

Turning, if I may, to some seriousness, one of the writers wrote "I used one of the most cathartic and depressing points of my life as the catalyst to define my take on success. It came when I stepped out of the closet - only to lose family and friends, status and regard. In the midst of this heartbreak and hope, I was vulnerable.  I realized what I needed most at this point in my life was open minds and soft hearts."

"We" are, can be, cruel bastards.  Writer continued "Moving forward, I sought these values in myself and others, above all.  I defined for myself that, at the end of my life, the most important markers of success would be how I answer these two questions, 'How open is my mind?', and, 'How soft has my heart remained?'

I admit, I enjoyed her two evaluators of success... much is important, and that is different for many (money, status, education, awards, achievements, family, good person, easy going, great variation of goals.)

Success is a judgment call.  As scorned as the word 'judge' is, I think we (mostly) all do it. Oft times we do it without a lot of context and it can be negative in some way. One article espoused "Judging others can increase fears of being judged and can decrease feelings of connection and empathic understanding.

This got deep and that really wasn't my intent... I guess. 

I'm not sure this is the same as defining success - but at a funeral, there is much retrospect. Feel. Tears. Smiles.  Memories. Loss.  Hurt.  (If we didn't feel, hurt, recall smiles, memories, have tears for this person, we probably wouldn't be at the funeral.)

The walk to the car brings "That was a good person. I will very much miss them."

(Paul Harvey.... just so you'll know, R (the glue eater) started his own business and retired vely vely wealthy.. L (the poop his pants guy) to my knowledge, hasn't pooped his pants in over 60 years.)

Love, Victurd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks..........

 Once again, I made the dreaded mistake of, strolling, page by page thru the newspaper.  I do so virually every morning, and.... as I finall...