Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Let's go out and play...............

Sixteen years ago - life was kinda drab.... No, no, no, no - I don't mean boredom, depression, yuck... I mean colors, once vivid, shiny, sparkly, distinct - all kinda ran 'tagether, lost their luster, dull, DRAB.

So, I did what anyone would do...I dropped acid. Of course I'm joshing, just seeing if you were actually paying attention. Naturally, I got an eye appointment. Thirty minutes into an uneventful. drab (like vision) appointment, Doc finally asks, "Victor? How old are you?"..... 54.   "You have cataracts in both eyes."

So, not long after, lens implants, one for close-up, one for distance. It was very bizarre. Each lens he 'knocked out', I saw nothing but white. Presto, went to Piggly Wiggly after, I'm sure folks thought I was nuts...I was in complete AWE of the colors, standing at the front of the store, saying, "WOW!" Second thought, maybe they did think I was on something.

I threw away seven pair of readers (One each in garage, living room, bathroom, dining rooom, bedroom, basement, and car.) Shoulda thrown my ballglove away too as it was a tad different, the one up close, one for distance.

Things went very well for years, THEN, eye test at the DMV. "Now we're going to cover your left eye, please read row four," My distance eye. I COULDN'T SEE NUTTIN'. She musta been a mom as it was then she put her lips together and mouthed "b, b, ba, ba..."B, I hollered out, "Yes!" Whew, she helped the rest of the day...

Then, a few years later, same dealybob, DMV eye test. HEY, WHERE'S THAT ONE LADY? 'Mom', nowhere to be found, I flunked left eye, I was bemoaning "It's over" (life, driving, yada...I'm too young!). Lady giggled..."No, no, no...it just means we will demark on your driver's license "Must have left rear view mirror." Whew.

People have mentioned "You kinda do live in, enjoy the past don't you Victor?" YES, BUT... yes but....See? My driver's license REQUIRES my rear view mirror!

Victor, you're not gonna tell us we sat thru all them damn paragraphs to get to that point areya?

Uh huh, am. Sorry.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...Ok, but what's this "Let's go out and play?"  The weatherman yesterday said today would be PERFECT. That reminded me of, as a kid, opening the big front dooor, pushing the screen door: FUN. FUN ABOUT TO BE HAD!

Come to think of it, "Let's go out and play" ain't got much to do with age. It's simply opening both doors, leaving worry behind, YIPPEE! Golf, shopping, bunco, long drive, boat ride, eat out with friends, movie, live music, play, kid's ballgame, bowling, singing, dancing - exit stage left from the spiderweb of yuck. Even a lazy river maybe!

I hope you have a perfect day, go out and play... maybe even if it means occasionally looking in the rear view mirrow,

By Henry Gibson.............                 Forward by Spiderman

Love, Victor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks..........

 Once again, I made the dreaded mistake of, strolling, page by page thru the newspaper.  I do so virually every morning, and.... as I finall...