Friday, November 17, 2023

I'm going to Kansas City, Kansas City here I come......

They got a crazy little women there 
And I'm gonna get me some.

Prolly talking 'bout getting some BBQ don'tya think?

"WHY would I go to Kansas City?"  Actually, we hear that a lot, and that's ok. Our secret. The little engine that could.  Ya might get here, anyways, jump off the "Well I might take a train I might take a plane, but if I have to walk I'm gonna get there just the same" and ask, "Where are all the cows?  Is this Kansas or Missouri?"  Don't tell 'em Harry, Dorothy.

A tad more about the song.  Were you aware, you Hound Dog you, the two dudes that penned the original "Kansas City" also wrote "Hound Dog?"  Me neither.  I mean, to start a sentence with I mean drives me batty, but...  I mean, one 'KC song meaning' thingy I read suggests it was written in part, about folks moving from the South, to the North and Westward, for more and greater opportunities. We are a melting pot, and we, are proud of that. The song, Kanas City, was THE FIRST to mix R&B, Blues and Rock and Roll = that, be KC in a heartbeat. (You mighta hearda the Beatles.  They sang it too, in 1964 in our fine city.)

The confluence of the Missouri and Kansas rivers..  something about a Louisiana Purchase, Lewis and Clark trouped thru here, liked it. "Good place to build a fort." We gots Spanish architecture, farmers markets galore, fountains - more and more, found a way to gamble and drink during Prohibition, (I never said the word 'mob'!).. all that jazz...   Speakin' o melting pots, don't forget BBQ.  Everywhich way you turn.  All of 'em are good, and, there's your answer as to "Where are all the cows in this cowtown?"  We don't care what you call us. You're very welcome here, or, stay away if you like, it's our secret, but we'll share it!

I hope this ain't long, sorry if so. Big weekend. Tonight. Baseball Ray. That ain't it you idiot, it's Football, as in High School. Kansas (our fine City straddles both MO and KS, we don't care if you don't know if we're KCKS or KCMO and we getta kick outta your confusion of same, especially big rock bands that come here, and don't know which is which). Back to (High School) football. Kansas has whittled down the divisions to four remaining teams, Missouri, eight.

Victor, is this where you'll brag about Eagles, as in, your great nephew is the D Coordinator for the Grain Valley Eagles who take on perennial power Webb City tonight... and The Liberty North (what's an Eagle) hometown boys battle Oak Park?  Yes, it is.  Sorry, not sorry to brag.

Then, if ya gotta minute tween Fri/Sat, go ride a streetcar. We usedta have a HUGE streetcar network, we're getting there again, oh, and it's free to ride. Go ice skate at Crown Center, see the view from the WWI monument, take in Union Station and don't be surprised when folks askya "How ya doin" in passing, BUT, they stick around to hear your answer.  Kansas City is nice like that.

Saturday.  The Sunflower Showdown.  Uh huh, KU versus K-State. Heap big game. Ain't been in recent years, is now. BOTH teams really good.  They done been thru some QB's (5 total) but they both have wonderful, successful head coaches, loyal fan bases excitement abounds for this one.

Sunday. Victor, there ain't no football in KC Sunday.  All the more reason to come here. Flip a coin. Flip many coins (make a wish, toss 'em in onea our fountains), or, use to pick whethere ya wanna take your kid.. Legoland, the huge Aquarium, maybe take in the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum or the American Jazz Museum (do 'em both, they're right together, oh, then walk a block and have some Arthur Bryant's BBQ. Ya might as well.. you mighta heard of some others who have (Jimmy Carter, Mr. Obama, Wilt, Spielberg, Landon, Redford, Nicholson, Gumbel, Watson, Brett to name a few)  Uh huh, we somebody, KC we are. Don't tell.

Monday. A chihuahua, Monday. Donna Kelce, heard'a her?  Yeah, she's the mom of Taylor Swift's boyfriend. (Did I mention 'we somebody'?)  She's gonna be at the drive thru window at a local chicken place (I'm bettin' bigger traffic jam than Starbucks ever seen), 

FOOTBALL (Damnit Ray!)  MNF. What's that?  It's Monday Night Football, right here in River City, some place called Arrowhead (GEHA somethin'). TWO, count 'em TWO, sideline reporters. Buck and Aikman, hey, not our call, they're on every MNF. ESPN bringin' mo' cameras, “including 4K and super slow-motion cameras, bringing their arsenal to eight total 4K/UHD cameras and 16 super slow-motion cameras positioned throughout the stadium.” Victor, don't forget to mention their drone and their plane. Oh yeah, them to.

And there's even football.  You mean like two 'also rans' playin?  Nope, it's the two teams featured in last year's Super Bowl, (Both currently atop the division race), the Philadelphia Eagles and THE KANSAS CITY CHIEFS. Who won that Super Bowl?  You gotta fight for your right to remind people, Kansas City. Oh, and some guy named Andy Reid (your mighta seen him on TV stealing chicken nuggets or drawing mustaches on player's faces) is the all time winningest coach for The Philadelphia Eagles. Oh yeah?  You think his Eagles will beat KC?  He don't coach 'em anymore, he's OUR coach. Oh, and ifn's his (OUR) Chiefs win, he will tie Mr. Matriculate The Ball Down the Field Hank Stram as the winningest coach in Chief's History. Wow, that'd be sumpin, anyone else done that? Most victories for two different teams?  Nope. We Kansas City. We somebody. We unique.

We homey.  All kinds, styles of home. Even Mahomes. It's a great home.  Don't tell. Virtually everyone who moves here sticks like glue 'cause they wanna. Nice people, allover.

Anything else Victor, you KC braggadocious one you?

Yes. Today is the last damn day for you to start thawing that turkey, turkey.  We give thanks for our City. Heap big weekend, right Ray?

Love, Victurd


I'm going to Kansas City, Kansas City here I come
They got a crazy little women there
And I'm gonna get me some.
I'll be standing on the corner
On the corner of Twelfth Street and Vine
I'm gonna be standing on the corner
On the corner of Twelfth Street and Vine
With my Kansas City baby
And a bottle of Kansas City wine.
Well I might take a train
I might take a plane, but if I have to walk
I'm gonna get there just the same
I'm going to Kansas City, Kansas City here I come
They got a crazy way of loving there
And I'm gonna get me some.
I'm gonna pack my clothes
Leave at the break of dawn
I'm gonna pack my clothes
Everybody will be sleeping
Nobody will know where I've gone
Cause if I stay in town
I know I'm gonna die.
Gotta find a friendly city
And that's the reason why,
I'm going to Kansas City
Kansas City here I come
They got a crazy way of loving there
And I'm gonna get me some.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Old Lady that Swallowed the Fly.......

I know an old lady She swallowed a fly But I don't know why She swallow the fly I guess she'll die Victor...... why do you put us th...