Saturday, January 13, 2024

10-3-2-1-0

Did like, you just get here?

If you're like me, you'd never heard 10-3-2-1-0.  

Howabout Dr. Michael J. Breus?

We're talking sleep here... too little... not enough..  how to... when to.. anything, everything about sleep.

Dr. Breus...  he be THE go to man about sleep.  Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine.  Has a specialty in Sleep Disorders..  been on Dr. Oz almost 40 times, THE WebMD go to for anything about sleep.

He say..............

10 hours before bedtime... no more caffeine..  
3 hours before bedtime, no more alcohol or food.
2 hours before bedtime, no more work.
1 hour before bedtime, no more screentime.
0, you no hitty snooze button in the morning!  Hup two three for get your booty (and feet) on the floor. He didn't say that, some idiot blogger did.

I started reading more and more..  NREM's, REM's..  specifics.. then I got sleepy, stopped.

He didn't say nuttin' about putting the lime in the coconut, drinking it all up..    Take Sominex tonight and sleep... safe and restful sleep, sleep sleep.

Some say............. "lower the room temperature"...  "yoga, meditation, mindfulness" (ahm, hello, you can scratch that first one 'cause getting my butt down on onea those thin mats, one, would hurt, and two, I'd haveta be next to an end table, or, onea them old folk assist rails on the wall..  Meditate? Nah, You have at it though Yoko if ya wanna.

"Gummies."  Buddy swears by 'em.  Eh, I dunno. I've never really been a pot person (hey, I'd rather, if most people are gonna use sumpin, it be pot versus alcohol - I know, and yes, it was really me that said that.)..  i would just fear, on the one morning I HADTA get up early, I'd snooze thru it.

"Avoid looking at your clock."  I do do... well. I usually do do in the morning.. but, I do awaken in the middlea the night, check the time, backtrack in my mind to see how many hours I've been asleep. Don't tell, sometimes I even text myself.. something like 2:30=6, 3:30=7. 4:30=8... as in, I went to sleep at 8:30p, if I wake at 2:30, that'd be 6 hours, 3:30, 7, etc.  It's a hard, it's a hard to get backta sleep like that.  At least for me.

"Avoid naps during the day."  My blogs are RARELY funny.  That suggestion, to me, is funny.  You're telling a retired person NOT to take a nap?  ____ you and the horse you rode in on.

"Watch when and what you eat."  I think the attached emotional baggage to that would make it so we'd never getta asleep. Next suggestion.

"Exercise during the day."  Eh, I hear ya.  We are ALL in a unique point, place in our lives as far as our bodies, weight, affliction or not, will, want, yada.  I do spose that'd help.  What's next?

"Get comfortable."  Honey, I dunno about you, but I DREAM of falling into bed. Sure, long ago, slept on belly, chiro guy said "don't do that, sleep on side."  Did, have, perty comfy. Sure, would prolly be more comfy to have arm around gorgeous, 60 yr old blonde, harda hearing, doesn't speak English, hella 401K, but they ain't exactly easy to come by.

"Write before bed."  I kept a tablet, pen, on the little table next to bed. Twenty straight days I wrote "Before bed", didn't help.

"Read".  Don't help me, might you, if so, have at.  My last significant other, she was fun.  Her sleep patterns, and i don't mean this in a bad way, off the wall. 3:30am, I'd awaken, she'd be sitting up straight, TV blarin', eyeballs closed, prolly the REM things.  Or, she liked to exercise during sleep.  Uh huh. NO NO, not that..  She'd take walks.  Band camp, once she was trying to raise the blinds to open the window to get out.  I wasn't near as exciting.  About all I did was get up half asleep, fall, and leave a mark on my arm for the resta my life. Sleep is interesting.

"Visualize happy things."  I was gonna do an X rated spiel here, decided against.  You're welcome.

"Count Sheep"..  Bah-h-h-d idea, but I do play Wordle.

And, if I was a smart alec.. (Victor, you already are that).. oh yeah..  If I were in Dr. Breus's class... I would very definately be a wiseacre.

Doc, ya ever had a sick little one tug on your pj's at 2am?  Every pull weeds in the garden all day, go to bed and have an itchy itchy rash?  You're 30-something, I think I read.. ya ever been 70-something and hadta pee a time or seven at night?

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Ya ever have more bills than money? I thinks at some point in life, we all been there.  Ya ever work where it was kinda a drudge to go?  The commute, the weather, the 95mph crotchrockets that wiz by?

Ya ever had her wake ya, say "You're snoring BAD, go sleep in the second bedroom."?  Or, an argument, same suggestion?

"Laugh and the world laughs with you.. snore and you sleep alone."  Anthony Burgess

Would the ice cold nose of a miniature Schnauzer go unnoticed to you at 3:30am?  A kneading kitty's claw in your side at any hour? 

And out there in the World......... ever lay down hungry?...  Without a bed?  Roof?  Mom/dad?

10-3-2-1-0 does sound like sound advice.

I'm old.  I'm part rebel. Part Osage (makes me leary of all). No likey micromanagement.  No thanks Doc, but, good idea, I guess.

"Marriage is an alliance entered into by a man who can't sleep with the window shut, and a woman who can't sleep with the window open."   George Bernard Shaw

"Let me sleep on it
Baby, baby let me sleep on it
Let me sleep on it
I'll give you an answer in the morning
Let me sleep on it
Baby, baby let me sleep on it
Let me sleep on it
I'll give you an answer in the morning
Let me sleep on it
Baby, baby let me sleep on it
Let me sleep on it
I'll give you an answer in the morning"   Meatloaf

Or.. as quoted by me... (and prolly my dad before me, as we rocked, held our kid)
"Go to sleep... little creep."

Love, Victurd

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Old Lady that Swallowed the Fly.......

I know an old lady She swallowed a fly But I don't know why She swallow the fly I guess she'll die Victor...... why do you put us th...