Thursday, January 25, 2024

Three-point stances... An hour-twenty... the pee of Cortez... Whack-a-whale........

You had'ta been there.  So, there. The blog is done, there ain't no describing our whale watching excursion, you had'ta been there.  Love, Victurd 

Of course, you forget, I've got a big keyboard (Mouth)......

Fitteen of us. Mighta been 16, I wasn't in charge - thankfully (and nice job Pup).

"Be there (The Pier) at 9:30am....  wear layers... 862 pesos (Fitty bucks)..."

Prior to going.......... I'd sent Pup a text.  It was in Spanish.  I asked that he memorize it, save it, should we need it in the end.  Translated, it said "You said we'd see whales... we all want our (enter bad cussword here) fitty dolla's back."

"Come on Vic, let's get a head start to the boat."  Nice people, all.  It was a friendly Mehican way to say "Vic, you're friggin' crippled, let's go now so the others won't pass us.. have to wait for us."  I was thankful.

42' (I think) catamaran......  Bench seats in front... in the middle... and on either side in the back.  Pretty much everyone in our group knew everyone... so, it was kinda like a "Hey,. Friday night we're going to....." party.

Cap'n Oscar. Tall, nice dude.  Fluent, English, Spanish.  Oscar has 'work at fun'.  My dream job.  17 years he's been doing this... his first mate (a she), 5+ years.. two other helpers.. ALL..  nice.. just like everywhichway you turn here, friendly, polite, ready to serve, and with smile.

"We'll go out about an hour and half if we need to... we do have a few rules to discuss.. The 3-point rule..  When you move about on the boat,  you must have both feet on the ground and one of your arms on something else to support yourself.  (Later I would learn, by a 'show of [not hands] eyeballs' everytime I walked to/fro.. I was voted "Most likely to fall."  Folks be damn nice. Wanna put your arm on my shoulder?  Can I help you here?)

S'more Cap'n Oscar... "The women will use the head (below, pointed to it)... plz, no TP down the stool..  Guys.. we ask that you pee off the backa the boat.... We're gonna start out playing Reggae music but as we get into the trip we'll take requests...  When we do see, find a whale, I guarantee you we'll follow them for an hour and twenty minutes." 

Witchi Tai Tai, kimarah Whoa Ron-nee Ka Whoa Ron-nee Ka Hey-ney, hey-ney, no-wah, Witchi Tai Tai, kimarah Whoa Ron-nee Ka Whoa Ron-nee Ka Hey-ney, hey-ney, no-wah, which, has not one damn thing to do with this blog, but I find it to be kind of an excited, fun thing, so, that, mebbe, was the mood. 

The trip out was nice.  Big ole pelicans, hard to believe how large their snouts, not too mention wingspan is, are, however you'd say. Shrimp boats, allover.  Big, little, all kinda boats.  We saw our condo.. and the whole string'a condos went from recognizable (hey, there's ours, 7th floor, second from the end).. to......... a small dot, the further we went. 

We'd heard "about an hour thirty out"..  and, we were happily into our trip.  Folks, initially glued to a specific seat, now, 3-ponting from here to there.  Oh yeah, free drinks. Better mention that.  Victor, this seems to be a theme of your trip?  Mebbe.  I guess I have mentioned it a time or Dos (Equis).

So........... sufficient lubrication, sunshine, CALM SEAS, good friends becoming even better friends.. nice, nice crew.. gorgeous day.. .yippee, all about..................... except..................... no whales.

Binocs out.  Several.  S'more miles out to sea.  Cap'm himself scouting.  First mate, she too.  HEY, who's steering?!  It was all good, straight for a bit.  We were now an hour FORTY into the trip.. I peeked at Pup, wanted to remind him about the money back speech in Spanish.

Bingo Beth (she be the bingo caller.. nice lady.. 'local'.. ) she pointed waaaaaay ahead..  Cap'n confirmed sight.. "THAR SHE BLOWS"..  full steam ahead..........   It took some time..  actually by now, a lotta time.. similar catamarans fulla gringos were also in chase, so we knew it was the real deal.  And yes, finally, a fin.  A big splash.  Every "oooooohhhh" met with a Pavlovian "aaaaahhhhhhhh".  Nifty. Hard to describe.







My videos taken are minutes, mebbe an hour total of still, calm waters.  Ya see one come up.. .you wing your camera a hunnerd degrees, GONE.  Then back to the left, same thing.  We'd never hit a whale (or a dog, cat, goat, yada) but it was kinda like playing a game of whack-a-whale.  Or, what was it the Governor on the Best Little  Whorehouse in Texas said?  "OOOHHHHH I LOVE TO DANCE (SWIM) A LITTLE SIDESTEP" and that they did....

But they were there.  Everywhere. AMAZING CREATURES. Over here, over there, ahead, behind, starboard, aft, whatever else ya call it.  Whales to the left of me, (fellow) jokers to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle of the Wonderful Pee of Cortez.I did that. Pee.  Three times off the backa the boat.  Sorry, whales, hadta.  Tip, my Sigamanu buddy "Vic, I had way too many beers and only peed once." (Gee blog reader, see what you can learn here?")

Calamity, John. Nicest dude ever.  Go figure, John, who doesn't drink (and THE ONLY one on the boat not drinking), the first to fall.  Cut leg.  Of course he said "I'm Ok, doesn't hurt." Cap'n bandaged it up, John rarin' to go. That's John.  Sandie, his equally as nice wife said "One time we were water skiing.. he fell.. cut himself (I forget exactly what she said but it sounded as if it was almost, but not quite up to a limb falling off).. anyways, by the time she got the boat to him he said "Will you take me around one more time?"  That's John!

  

Now I've had, the time of my life.  It was kinda like a huge rock concert.. except the feature 'band' (the whales) came out first..  on the way back, it was the sea lions turn to take the stage... then, they seemingly had been hiding from me on porpoise the entire trip, a 'pod' of dolphins!

Cap'n chimed in, "OK, we're heading back, you've seen every critter there is to see!"..   Back to You had'ta be there.  Buddy Tip and I had probably (assuredly) exceeded our Dos Equi limit... doubtful we coulda counted to ten in English (for SURE not in Spanish).. .anyways.. Tip says "Vic, I'd have to put this in the top 5 times of my life.

I agree Tip.  Fortunate. 

On the way back... there is a net on the front end of the catamaran.  Mebbe 16' by 16'.  Cap'n said it'd support any/all.  Huh uh. Not gonna try after sitting on and smashing that damn plastic end table. You guys have at... And did they.  These ladies.. I think they call themselve the Gypsy Chicks.. they like to lay on the floor. I ain't real sure why. They did this (below) on the boat.. and, unner a table at Margie's Birthday Party at Leo's Bar.  On the way back, they danced. AND DANCED.  And the music got louder and louder. They danced like the whales, sea lions and dophins weren'ta watchin', fun they had.

Our crew below... (And below that, there's a link to our cruise boats site on Facebook.. There are three or four videos there.. I tried getting them here, but, back to, IT illiterate.   

 

THANK YOU FOR READING!  If you are on Facebook the link is below.  It truly was a whale of a good time.

Love, Victurd





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Old Lady that Swallowed the Fly.......

I know an old lady She swallowed a fly But I don't know why She swallow the fly I guess she'll die Victor...... why do you put us th...