Thursday, March 7, 2024

Baseball cards, clothespins and the spokes of life.....

If you're like me, #1, boy do I feel sorry for you!  Ha.  Seriously, mebbe you can relate when I say, about halfa the time I'm in the "Victor, you're such an idiot" mode and then a chunka the time, "Hey, not too bad!"

Hi, I am Victor, and I am a (life, sports, wanna-be-psychologist) addict.  (OK, sure, I also admit to occasionally enjoying a Miller Lite, or, Dos Equis or two.)

As a 'pup', I 'devoured' any, everything, baseball.  I ain't so sure I ever hooked up a 1952 Mickey Mantle rookie card with a clothespin on my bike so it'd  rat-a-tat-tat on the spokes, sounding like a motor as I rode away.. But, (you can't start a sentence with 'But" Victor)..  But, since one recently sold for $12.6 million, I probably did.  Or, at least drew a mustache on him with magic marker.

As I aged (I didn't say matured..as I aged).. I expanded my love/addiction to other, additional sports. Loyal, fanatic, Royals, Chiefs, and, The University of Missouri.  I add this because, as  an MU fan, I've 'grown'(?) to abhor The University of Kansas. Well, I don't abhor the University, I abhor SOME of their fans. What I call 'arrogant', they call 'proud', then point the envy finger.  Yeah prolly both fit.  I got caught up in an online 'conversation' yesterday, I spoke my peace, thought "Not too bad", awakened today, reread, thought "Victor, you're such an idiot."

Victor.  Whereinthehell are you going with this?  I'm riding the bike of life around, rat-a-tat-tatting.. I thought about life, WHAT MATTERS.. then I thought about ole Mantle.. When life is said and done, WHAT'S ON THE BACK OF YOUR BASEBALL CARD?  Moreso, is it Home runs, RBI's, Stolen bases, Wins, Losses - or, none of the above.

I AM NOT ELOQUENT.  As I hit the 'new blog' button this morning, I really couldn't come up with exactly what I wanted to say about life... what should be important. Why are we here?  We are human, Si.  Baseball cards have a spot designated for errors, we do do that. (There's that do do again.)

So, I'm punting.  Taking my seat in the dugout. On the bench.  Skip, send a pinch hitter out.

Why?  Because I ain't eloquent, BUT, I think what I found that Micheal Josephson wrote in 2003 IS.
 

"Ready or not, some day it will all come to an end. There will be no more sunrises, no minutes, hours, or days.

All the things you collected, whether treasured or forgotten, will pass to someone else.

Your wealth, fame, and temporal power will shrivel to irrelevance. It will not matter what you owned or what you were owed.

Your grudges, resentments, frustrations, and jealousies will finally disappear.So, too, your hopes, ambitions, plans, and to-do lists will expire.

The wins and losses that once seemed so important will fade away. It won’t matter where you came from or what side of the tracks you lived on at the end.

It won’t matter whether you were beautiful or brilliant. Even your gender and skin color will be irrelevant.

So what will matter? How will the value of your days be measured?
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got but what you gave.

What will matter is not your success but your significance.

What will matter is not what you learned but what you taught.

What will matter is every act of integrity, compassion, courage ,or sacrifice that enriched, empowered, or encouraged others to emulate your example.

What will matter is not your competence but your character. What will matter is not how many people you knew but how many will feel a lasting loss when you’re gone.

What will matter is not your memories but the memories of those who loved you. What will matter is how long you will be remembered, by whom, and for what.

Living a life that matters doesn’t happen by accident.It’s not a matter of circumstance but of choice.

Choose to live a life that matters." (Micheal Josephson, 2003)

As a 'card collector', fanatic, sport's addict, psychology wanna be, I bet... were we to turn Michael's baseball card over... it would include at least one he knocked outta the park.

Rat-a-tat-tat, keep on pedaling,

Love, Victurd


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Old Lady that Swallowed the Fly.......

I know an old lady She swallowed a fly But I don't know why She swallow the fly I guess she'll die Victor...... why do you put us th...