Saturday, March 30, 2024

Chuck Taylor.......

It's a sports thing, kinda.  

I did a quick Wiki scan on him...  Chuck Taylor was a pretty darn good basketball player.  Born in 1901, he was country (basketball) when country (basketball) wasn't cool... or, well, hadn't been around that long. At age 18, he became a semi professional basketball player for The Converse All Stars and it wasn't long before he became the player, coach.

Soon....... he was actually hired by the Converse Rubber Shoe Company... continued too in his role as player-coach of the traveling baskeball team. Early 20's, he went to the corporate office of Converse in Chicago, suggested a new design for their tenny boppers, put a Star on the circle that was a protective patch for the ankle, signed his name to it......... presto......"Chuck Taylor Converse All-Stars".. 

He spent a lifetime peddling the shoes from the trunk of his car... living year round in motels.. giving coaching clinics.. playing.. coaching.. peddling.  Wiki done said he was a salaried employee of Converse, and never really received a penny of commission from the "600 million pair of Chuck Taylors" sold.  From my shoes, I call a foul.  Or, traveling.  Or, I see the need for "Name Image and Likeness."

Victor, whereinthehell you going with this?  Well, reckon I ain't sure. Less'n you've lived under a rock, you shoulda heard of Chuck Taylors, maybe even owned a pair or six. They really did have 'stopping grip', but, tweren't much for comfort, arch support.  That said, they continue to sell in all kinds of colors today, moreso as a fashion thing, even for folks that ain't never shot a rabbit.. no, that ain't it.. even folks that ain't never shot a 3 pointer..

OK Victor, but where ya going?  I'm going for "The view from my Chuck Taylors"...

Life, people.  I have spent a lifetime, maybe we all do/have, beating myself up internally.  Rock'Em Sock'Em Robots up there in my brain.  I, we, all make errors.  I rehash, rehash, rehash, mine.  Shouldn't, but do.  You?  Thus, I have a compelling need, want, thirst for happy.

So........ I put on my Chuck Taylor's... and watch others.  How do they do it, or, do they?  Who is happy?  Who ain't? Canya figure out the 'why' to each?

Is it ok to think "Eww... I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time around that person."?  Conversely (mebbe Chuck Taylor pun built in) do you see those folks ya think "Gosh, I LOVE him/her, always a smile, even when they may not feel like it. Yeah baby!"

Ya make a list, a kajillion things on it.. these things appeal to ya... then, those things that make ya wanna upchuck, crawl up into a ball and go to bed.  Victor?  Upchuck?  Pun intended?  Mebbe, very perceptive you are.

Wearin' them Chuck Taylors..  it's a How to.  Peeking so you can do life yourself, ie, DIY.

Sure, we see folks error.  How do they react?  Forlorn?  Hold head down for'ever and ever?  Or do they smile, brush off and jump back in the game?'

Color me weird.  In a group of friends, if another friend walks in and I'm aware this friend's best friend is sitting right next to me, I'll move over a chair and offer 'em mine.  It's all about Chuck Taylor's, watching, learning, listening.  I ain't much on chit chat anways..  "Deathly quiet" someone recently termed it.  Hey, that's ok.  It's me.  Watching, learning, and si, loving life. (And trust me, two Miller Lites you'll be saying "Victor, shut the hell up!")

Chuck's.  Thanks Chuck's.  You done taught me a lot.  That person over there, I kinda learned from them "If one's mouth is always open, they ain't learning much about anything, anyone."  Them two over there, YUMMY smiles.  That's the way, uh huh uh huh, I like it.  Seemingly they like it, and smiles remind, life really is good.

I have a hard time putting into words what I'm trying to express.  I guess, it's 'people watching has been bery bery good to me.'  Like watchin' them Alaskan Gold shows on the Discovery Channel..  huge graders scoop up the Earth.. long ole conveyer belt, aided by water, sorts out the bad... it drops below.. much.. much down the belt.. and uh huh, yes... there in the pan (of life)... after sooooooooooo much sifting, GOLD.  Really good stuff. Chuck Taylor learning, watchin' stuff.

Road graders break down. Weather happens. Bosses get mad.  Bosses praise. Hard work, persistency pays off.  I wonder if you can buy Chuck's that are colored Gold?

The morel is..........  NO Victor, that's the damn mushroom. Yain't never found one anyways. True, but I know to many they are kinda like gold.

The moral is...... watch..  learn..  love.... smile..   enjoy... don't beat yourself up too bad, the conveyor belt of life will take care of that.

These Chucks were made for walkin'...  (and watching, learning.)

Love, Victurd



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks..........

 Once again, I made the dreaded mistake of, strolling, page by page thru the newspaper.  I do so virually every morning, and.... as I finall...