Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Back to school....

The 'climate' of late, at least here in the Midwest US of A, has been, windy, breezy, sunny, cloudy, rainy, more rainy, more wind, like, them ones that go round in circles - tear crap down, more sun, 60's, more wind, more rain, 70's, look how fast them clouds are movin' up in the sky, and... 80's.  Yum.

Richie, remember he of Woodstock fame, borrowed the song from George, the Beatles, and belted out Here Comes The Sun (doo doo doo doo)...

Well, scratch the alla the above.

The 'climate', of late, has been all about redo's, "if I had it to do allover again", or, as that Frank feller said, "Regrets, I've had a few....."

The very FIRST thing I would do, if I could go back, would be beg, borrow or steal (nah, I never stole, ok, just that one time, ne'er again).. I would ask mom (99 times outta a hunnerd, that answer was 'sure') for an extra fitty cents... and at lunchtime, I'd get, one of the cook's to die for PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES, devour it, then, get back in line again for one'a their OH SO DADGUM YUMMY CINAMON ROLLS!

I'm weird.  I REALLY did think about that one day when "if I could go back and do it all over" was ping-pong'ing around my brain.

What about you?  I CAN'T HEAR YOU!  Oh, wait, that was Sgt Carter on TV.  Of course I can't hear you, you're reading.  Oh well, reckon you're stuck with my crap then.

I'd play a game of wiffle ball.  Then, 12 more.

I'd go to granny's, me and my two cousins roughly same age would go out in the front yard and kinda semi, not really roughly, play tackle football (age 6, 7, 8, 9, thereabouts.) The sidewalk was the 50 yard line, ha!

One'a granny's apple pies, topped off by a GRANDE size scoopa homemade vanilla ice cream... and I'd be so saturated with happy I'd lay on a pallet and snooze all night long (apologies to Lionel Ritchie, he said it first.)

I'd run (mosta the way, was about 7 blocks from home) to Woody's Appliance store during the World Series, where, for free... YOU HEAR ME?...for FREE, peanuts and Pepsi, and watch the game on onea their 12 TV's.

I'd go back to the playground (Franklin School, "good morning China [our crossing guard], how are you?" and, restart this 60+ year quest of chasing women allover. In this particular case, allover the playground.  Who was the girl Victor? I'll never tell. Oh crap, you know me, I can't keep my mouth (keyboard) shut, her name was Sue.  I coulda picked onea 40 others, but NOPE, I picked her, the fastest runner in our class.  I've never really been 'BOOK (a relationship) SMART.'

Then I'd relive that one smell. WHICH smell VICTOR?  Like that one time you and your buddies got sprayed by that skunk? No.  All the times you'd walk by that outdoor dog pound where they had a hunnerd dogs and a kajillion pounds of dog poop needing scooped up.  Gee, thanks (I think/stink) for the memory - sorry Bob Hope, but nope.  That smell I'd like to relive:

Whilte Shoulders perfume.  It drove me nuts. (My excuse anyways, yours?)

What else Victor?  Surely you'll write about the 401K, your, ahem, relationship selecting 'ability', and, mebbe that time where you (without saying) said 'Take this job and shove it' (sorry to borrow Johnny Paycheck.. I never shoulda said it, I needed that Paycheck)

Them ain't regrets, them are a parta life. I've loved my life.

When I think of "going back, what I'd change"... well, I don't really dwell on that.  I, honest, think about what I'd like to relive.  Simple junk like........

That first time with no training wheels.
Sledding ALL THE WAY down the Hill at Jewell Hall (and mom's hot chocolate that followed.)
Total classroom laughter when a 'try to be stern' elementary teacher would tell us a funny.
Peanut butter cookies and cinamon rolls.  You already told us that Victor.  Bite me, I was getting seconds.

I'd listen to Neil Young's Harvest album for the 1,243rd tune.

I'd tell mom, dad, my sister 'I love you" again. I'd graba daba Brylcreem, put it up on my mop, go look in the mirror.

"Mom?  Can we have Spanish Rice tonight?"  (remember, it was 'sure' 99.9% of time).

I'd pet Brownie, and or Gabe.

I'd sit inside all day, outta the hot sun where I was dying to be (wiffleball, EVERY day) but couldn't on this day because, heap big Little League game against Thomas Disposal later tonight, and resting before wins out.

I'd run outta the door the last day of school on 4th grade JUST to feel what it was like again.  ("Seeya China, have a good summer!")

Right after school, I'd Start Spreading The News (sorry again Frank) KICK THE CAN TONIGHT!  Dark-thirty!

I'd even like to get sick again... so... I could cough, and see/hear Mom hold her breath until I got my breath back.  You know, relive how much she loved me, and vice versa.

While there ain't no comparison to White Shoulders, I did kinda enjoy when dad smoked his pipe with that cherry flavor tobacky in it.

Victor, NO!  DON'T ASK HER OUT!  REMEMBER?  Eh, hush.  I ain't gots no regrets there.  Characters change in soap operas.  Kathie Lee was fine when Regis bootscooted.  Even Dan was ok when Roseane did whatever she did, can't remember.

Victor, surely you'd do something, collegewise, other than PE so you coulda made more money.  Listen honey, I've had me some fun along the way.  In fact, I'd like to go back and redo stuff like, movement exploration.  What's that Victor?  It's some fancified word educators used for having kids go, run, do, like crazy, with, not many rules attached.  Like?  I'd put 'em (the 1st, 2nd, 3rd graders) on one enda the gym and have 'em show me "How would a snake go to the other end?" and they'd slither, figure it out. An elephant?  Rabbit? A hurt dog?  They paid you for crap like that Victor?  They sure did and I loved it!

You know me, I could (and usually do) go on and on and on and on. I'll stop.

Sure, there are some things I'd change.  Morseo, there is so, so much I'd like to relive.

I'd better start getting ready.  You see, me and the 5th graders are going to the Royal's afternoon game today.  (That's the way, uh huh uh huh, I like it. - <- KC and the Sunshine Band, 1975) Si.  YES, going to the ballpark with my grandson and all the other snotnoses from his school.

Kool-aid Kool-aid, tastes great, which I had some, can't wait!

And a peanut butter cookie alongside a cinamon roll.  The best.

Relive, not regret.

Much love, Victurd




No comments:

Post a Comment

The eyes have it...

Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes. She's got Bette Davis eyes.  She’s not just captivating in her looks, she’s got the...