Friday, May 17, 2024

You've got a friend........

I love me some James Taylor music.  Got tickets to see him sometime this Summer.  At Starlight Theather, which, just as it sounds, you can look up and see stars light up (ie, it's outdoor, RAIN RAIN GO (AND STAY) AWAY.

When you're down and troubled
And you need a helping hand
And nothing, oh, nothing is going right
Close your eyes and think of me
And soon I will be there
To brighten up even your darkest nights
Them's James's words, but ain't friendship wonderful?
I Googled "All about friends" and come to find out, it's a kid's book.  Nice.  I assume it was all about you, another, sitting in the sandbox. You let 'em play with your plastic hammer (vs bop em on the head), ya hug, then go back to whatever you were doing... go home, bathe, get the sand outta your crevices, play with onea your other buddies, like, rubby ducky mebbe.
You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running, oh, yeah, baby
To see you again
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you've got to do is call
And I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah
You've got a friend
Then, I found another article when seeking to learn all about friends...  Seems it says "There are 5 requirements""..  holy crap.  I thought all ya had to do was get a tee time, hit balls into the lake, woods, 3 putt, go back to the deck at the clubhouse after, toss down a couple, talk about sports, women, cars, hips, knees, 'did you see that gal in the white skort?", that stuff. (S'more in a sec)
If the sky above you
Should turn dark and full of clouds
And that old north wind should begin to blow
Keep your head together
And call my name out loud now
Soon I'll be knocking upon your door
Back to the article.  The five things.   Trust.  Equality.  Compassion.  Honesty.  Independence. Being (proudly) from the Boomer generation, my initial thought was "Sign, sign, everywhere a sign" (rebel, resist, hell no we won't go, ask why, yada) but, I actually kinda like those five things.
You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running, oh, yes, I will
To see you again
Winter, spring, summer or fall, yeah
All you've got to do is call
___And I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah
Independence.  That's a BIG'n.  Sometimes 'it' just ain't inya, you say "nah, I can't today... i gotta (make something up here, not maliciously, just to not hurt their feelings)... or. say "Just not feeling it today"... Usually no questions asked over and above "You ok?"
Hey, ain't it good to know that you've got a friend?
When people can be so cold
They'll hurt you and desert you
Well, they'll take your soul if you let them
Oh, yeah, but don't you let them
"My friends are my estate."  Emily Dickinson
I WOULD add Humility to that list of five.  Sometimes, quite frequently actually, you, they, say something where you EARN a razzing, teasing, made fun of. (Like, say, you throw your golf club.. for a new distance, speed record... so... the next time your foursome plays, you meet at the first tee, and your three buddies are wearing bicycle helmets for their protection.)  That kinda stuff.
You just call out my name
And, you know, wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again
Oh, baby don't you know 'bout
Winter, spring, summer or fall
Hey, now, all you've got to do is call
Lord, I'll be there, yes, I will
You've got a friend
OK, add a 7th to the friend list.  Opposite sex friends.  No hanky pank, simply friends.  I truly have been lucky to have a perty decent list of female friends made in my lifetime.  When you are with your male buds, you do stupid, disgusting things male buds do...  fart, spit... cuss, pee behind the tree on the golf course, but when conversing with the opposite sex, there are unwritten rules of things not to say, it's honored, and, convo's can be, usually are rewarding, yummy.
You've got a friend, yeah
Ain't it good to know you've got a friend?
Ain't it good to know you've got a friend?
Oh, yeah, yeah, you've got a friend

"I don't need a friend who changes when I change and who nods when I nod, my shadow does that much better.'  Plutarch  (I'm a simpleton, I ain't never hearda him, but I likes that.)

FRIENDS.  They smile when they see you.  If you did stupid things with them back in the day (or hell, last Tuesday for that matter) they approach you with (sorry to cuss) a shit eatin' grin. Them'r the best, my book. Friends are in every corner.  Every whatever ya do (work school, church, play, bunko, book club... tell me who are the people in your neighborhood, in your neighborhood, right Elmo?... those folks).

Friends karaoke together.  Just kidding, but, it's your turn:

You're my best friend
With a little help from my friends
You've got a friend
Lean on me

FOOD.  WATER.  AIR.  SHELTER.  FRIENDS

Like Sly said, I want to thank you for lettin' me be myself, again.

Love, your friend, Victurd


No comments:

Post a Comment

On the front porch swing.........

Ran across a buddy of mine who was walking pretty slow, tired.. mebbe sore muscles involved.  VICTOR?  Yes?  You haven't 'ran'  ...