Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Sometimes I wonder, what I'm a-gonna do........

 I'm a-gonna raise a fuss, I'm a-gonna raise a holler

About a-workin' all summer just-a tryin' to earn a dollar
Every time I call my baby, try to get a date
My boss says "No dice son, you gotta work late"
Sometimes I wonder, what I'm a-gonna do
But there ain't no cure for the summertime blues
Eddie Cochran wrote this song in 19 fitty-eight.  Chevy's had them big fins, Arnie just won his first Masters... . One in ten young adults (the enda the Silent Generation, the beginning of the Baby Boomers), still slept in the basement, den, yada, Maynard G. Krebs allergically echoed his first "WORK!":
I mean hells bells, ya had to pump gas, haul hay, sumpin...  gas was thirty cent'a gallon, a ticket for CindyLou and you to the local theater was sixty-eight cents.
Oh, well, my mom and papa told me "Son, you gotta make some money"
If you wanna use the car to go a-ridin' next Sunday
Oh, well, I didn't go to work told the boss I was sick
"Uh, you can't use the car 'cause you didn't work a lick"
Sometimes I wonder what I'm a-gonna do
But there ain't no cure for the summertime blues
Were WE lazy?  70's, roughly same number of young adults lived at home.  Ten percent.  If... If I (and she) rented the detached garage from my folks, does that make us "live at mom and dads playing video games young snotnose adults?"    Did we even have video games?  (Victor, you ignorant slut, Pong came out in 1972.)  Thanks, I think.
I'm gonna take two weeks gonna have a fine vacation it 
I'm gonna take my problem to the United Nations
Oh, well, I called my congressman, and he said, quote
"I'd like to help you son, but you're too young to vote"
Sometimes I wonder what I'm a-gonna do
But there ain't no cure for the summertime blues

The number of young adults living at home (some call 'em 'creeps' due to that ) has been creeping up over the years. Reached  a high of 30% during Covid...  but, it's back down to 2 of every 10, in the den, man-cave, she-shed, basement, wharever, playing whatever it is they play.  Whadda they called now? Gen Z?  Yeah, that's it.

"Economics" they say, and, there is a bitta truth to that.  "Lazy sum'bit*hes" Archie Bunker types might holler.  


Band camp........ Long ago I was in Vegas listening to a comedian, funny guy, since - jailed for some really ugly stuff.. served time, now out..   anyways...  he was talking about being honored to speak at his daughter's graduation.  VICTOR? Huh?  You've told this before.  Ahm, so, he spoke at her college graduation.  After, they hugged, congratulated, on their way.  Said comedian, dad, speaker, noticed in his rear view mirror, daughter's car behind them.  Turned right. She turned right.

He turned left.  She turned left.  Then left again, and she too, left.  He pulled over.  She pulled over.  Walked to her car. Pleasantries.  "Where are you going?"  "Home" she answered.  "Is that somewhere near where we live?"

Sometimes they come back ya know.

My take.  If a 'kid' (said lovingly) needs help, he/she needs help. Sure, some push it.  It's said push comes to shove.  I vote, get in and outta work at as early age as you can.  Frienda mine, her son JUST RETIRED (stock broker) at age 38.  Autoworkers, out in 30 (I have a good buddy, retired from GM at age 47.).  Teachers too, out in 30.. Find work at fun (hopefully along with healthcare after you retire [if yain't old enough for Medicare], and, sure, pension would be groovy, right Maynard?") If ya ain't found fun in your work career, mebbe after you retire early you can find something fun.

The number nerds at the Social Security office tell us...  when folks retire (as most do, around 65) the life expectancy for a female is another 19.66  years.  Us old geezers, another 16.94 years.

Sometimes I wonder what I'm a-gonna do
But there ain't no cure for the summertime blues

I call BS.  There are all kindsa things to do, especially in the summer.  Me personally (VICTOR, who askedya?)  ahem.. for me, golf, i occasionally go walk in the pool, work a couple days, write blogs that struggle to gain any cohesion, not nearly enough grandkid outings (I'll work on that, a promise) and sure, an occasional Miller Lite out and about... 

and...  Sometimes, I just take those old records off the shelf
I'll sit and listen to 'em by myself
Today's music ain't got the same soul
I like that old time rock and roll.

My vote - I'd give anything to be able to go snooze on mom, dad's couch.. visit.. hug, love.  What's wrong with extending something like that in the early parta one's life?

Love, Victurd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks..........

 Once again, I made the dreaded mistake of, strolling, page by page thru the newspaper.  I do so virually every morning, and.... as I finall...