Saturday, July 20, 2024

I'ma walkin' in the rain................ and whointheheck is Charles Westover?

 If you're old, like me, we're blessed ain't we?

Also, you might recognize the "I'ma walkin' in the rain" from a hit song of 1961, Runaway, by Del Shannon.

I'ma walkin' in the rain
Tears are fallin' and I feel the pain
Wishin' you were here by me
To end this misery

I was 9.  My very first record player.  I think it was a Motorola brand.. plastic, mostly.. One record at a time and I listened to this song, over and over and over and over, again and again and again.  Suffice to say, loving parents, as I never eva' heard "Turn that crap down!", or, "Play sumpin else!"

Charles Westover became Del Shannon. His buddy, bandmate Max Crook invented his own clavioline-based electric keyboard and for whatever reason I really really liked the sound.

That was boring eh?

Sorry, mostly, kinda.

If you've fallen asleep here (this blog) before, you kinda know I write about LIFE.  My take, my thought, sorry, kinda, not really, hopefully with a touch of humor and a pinch of 'smile, why not?'

When I looked up the definition of runaway......... of course, "Fugitive"....... Next, people, predominantly children, running away.  One of my favorite videos (I tried to find it, sorry).. is of the loving mom who took her 6 or 7 year olds sons' running away in stride.. "Good bye.. I love you.. I hope you find someone to help wipe your butt."

And then...... I happened upon the 4th definition Merriam-Webster had to offer and it so happens to also be a wonderful definition of life itself:

   "Subject to uncontrolled changes."

Band camp.. Victor, you've told this one.  Eh, so solly, why don'tya start the needle on Runaway from the beginning, again.

Anyways....... Eureka Springs, AR.  Ex sister inlaws house.  Winter. Cold. 5" of fresh snow covering 1" of now solid ice. Driveway, THE only way to get to house - WAY WAY more than 45 degrees, seemingly, straight down.  Picture, afllicted, compression socked old fart, atop staring down.  One ginger step quickly, more quickly than I ever wanted, turned into two.  Then five, then my speed likened that of a 40 yard dash dude at the NFL combine. I was, outta control....... a runaway...  I did, of course, what you probably mighta done....... I laughed.

I was literally seconds from putting a Wile E Coyote human size hole in the garage door..  I envisioned a rearranged face.. broken hip, shoulder, fibula tibula, all the 'ula's'.. I wondered, between giggles, if, a tow truck would accompany the Ambulance/EMT dudes so they could winch my fat body back up the driveway.

I was outta control.  A runaway.  Laughing.  I DID meet up with the garage door. No Wile E Coyote hole. No broken bones, ula's, face was ok, and, by now, laughing aloud.

Life.  Subject to uncontrolled change.

My little runaaway, a run run run run, runaway..

My, and I think many other old farts, metabolism AND (CLOSE YOUR EARS} "Give a sh*t", decreases yearly as we age.  Life, subject to uncontrolled change.

Victor, you of KC Mid-America... you said "Whether or not a new airport tweren't up to you.. it's for the youth of today."..   yeah, same thing about a new ballpark.  Kinda the way I feel about our November A/B choices...... Mr. Sajak, I'd like to buy a C.  But, really, it's outta my control..  for the youth... uncontrolled change.

My mom and dad eloped.  Victor, you told us that.  Did I tell you mom's first cousin, best friend (and her BFF's husband) went with them?  Yes, you did.  Did I tell you they SHARED a small motel room?  Uh huh.  Did I mention the part where they put a rope up horizontally to divide the room in half, then hung blankets over it for privacy?  Si, did.  OK, sorry.  I get to typing and my fingers Runaway.

The Royal's 2nd half?  Our chances in the upcoming Paris Olympics?  The Chiefs?  Is there a Travis Taylor wedding coming swiftly?  If so, will the Mahomes go wit' em, string a rope up across the Loews Hotel room?  Will Keith Richards and Willie Nelson ever strum their last strums?

"Subject to uncontrolled changes."

What?  Me Worry?  Going to the Protest March?  Nah, think I'll stay home and catch a few episodes of Andy and Ope........  Maybe some Carol and Timmy Conway.

As I peck at the qwertyuiop (that, is the top row'a the keyboard) Shane Lowry has a 2 stroke lead in the Open, the oldest golf tourney in the world. Do you think he'll win Victor?  Subject to uncontrolled changes, dunno.  What goes up must come down, que sera sera.... the future ain't ours to see cause it's subject to uncontrolled changes.

Victor, you shoulda been a pro golfer.  Ahm, are you on drugs?  Ain't you see me play?  Three, and sometimes FOUR putt?  Yeah but.. I was talking about Shane Lowry and what happened.  What happened?  He hit one kinda like you do..  it went COMPLETELY over the line of spectators. You know, like when you're teeing off on 9 from Clay County, and you hit it into Ray County. Very funny, on with your story. TBC.

He hit it so far into the gorse, whateverinthehell that is. a ref asked if he wanted to look for it.. he said "nah... "  then, he took a drop, hit a provisional ball..  low and behold, the spectators found the ball.. he'd bungled the rules, took a two stroke penalty.. messed up.  So.. what does this have to do with me, Victor, being a professional golfer?  Well... then you could have the crowds. .the throngs of spectators.. and after you hit onea those all too frequent balls hella far in the woods, you'd have great help finding your cheapass WalMart Nitro golf balls. Very funny, but, not subject to uncontrolled laughter.

Sorry this sucked.  Really, I am.  I was outta control.  A Runaway right Charles, er, Del?

Hey Larry?  Once you wake up.. would you mind puttin' the needle back to the start'a Runaway?

All please have a wonderful day, less worry (metabolism), and enjoy the old fart knowledge it is what is it, que sera sera, life, is subject to uncontrolled change.

Forward by Wile E. Coyote

Blog by, love, Victurd K. Schultze


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dark-thirty

You know the nighttime, darling (night and day) Is the right time (night and day) To be (night and day) With the one you love, now (night an...