Thursday, August 1, 2024

For what it's worth....... life can be a Pandora's Box

(Celebrate?  Celebrate?  Contemplate to the music?)

There's something happening here
But what it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware
I think it's time we stop
Children, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?

Ya maybe never heard Bruce Palmer, Dewey Martin and Richie Furay....  but, they too were on the label with  Neil Young and Stephen Stills when they recorded this song in 1967. Stills, thought and thought and thought (kidding) about this, and wrote the song in about 15 minutes.

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Young people speaking their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind
It's time we stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?
What a field day for the heat (Ooh ooh ooh)
A thousand people in the street (Ooh ooh ooh)
Singing songs and they carrying signs (Ooh ooh ooh)
Mostly say, "Hooray for our side" (Ooh ooh ooh)
"Two sides to every board" my granny usedta say, but, Stills himself admits this song "It was really four different things intertwined, including the war and the absurdity of what was happening on the Strip,” 

It's time we stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?
Yes Victor... what was going on at the Strip?  Well... 
The Sunset Strip curfew riots in Los Angeles in 1966. It all started in the mid-1960s when hippies and young people associated with rock and roll culture would frequently gather on the famous street in West Hollywood. In 1966, the local government put in place curfew and anti-loitering laws to stop people from congregating at the behest of local businesses. This tension between the free-spirited culture and local government came to a head in November and December 1966 when protesters clashed with police, particularly on the night of November 12 when roughly 1,000 people showed up to protest the closing of Pandora’s Box, a popular nightclub for young people where the likes of the Beach Boys and Sonny & Cher performed over the years. (I plaguerized that, word for word, sorry, kinda, go ahead, sue me, blood outta a turnip, or something like that.)
Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the men come and take you away
We better stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?
I never knew that about a place called Pandora's Box...... Being the simpleton I am, I looked up definition of Pandora's Box.. "a process that generates many complicated problems as a result of unwise interference in something."
You better stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?

That Pandora lady... I guess she (you guys prolly know more than I do) opened a jar (which somehow over time became known as a box) that was entrusted to her... and it was believed to have contained sickness, death, and many other unspecified evils that were released into the world.
You better stop
Now, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?
You better stop
Children, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?

It just, to me, kinda seems like we've come full circle.. seems there's something in the air...

Victor...  the US is like a kitty cat falling from the air.  ALWAYS lands on it's feet.

Yeah but..   seems differn't.

Of course Victor, you're too young to remember the British burning DC to the ground in 1814.  Uh huh, I am.   And Abe, when he went to see that play (1865.)  Of course.  Black Tuesday, stock market crash, 1929.  Yeah, heck, my folks were teenie tiny then.  Pearl Harbor.  Yep, 1941.

Could go on and on.  Cuban Missile Crisis, 1962.. JFK's demise, 1963. MLK, 1968. Of course you remember 9/11/2001. Sad, so very very sad.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes... much. Too much.  I just think we'd better stop, now, what's that sound... feel... sumpin' in the air.

Victor, the sky is not falling.

Chicken Train, runnin all day... 
Chicken Train, runnin all day... 
Chicken Train, runnin all day... 
Chicken Train take the chickens away.

What's that mean?

I just feel something. /klak/

The hell is that?

It's chicken little, clucking.  I know (I'm positive, I think) we'll be OK.  I worry for our kids and their kids.

You said, "I'm positive, I think."??????

Uh huh, that's the title of the book I'll never write.

Hey, I gotta run...  Think I'll grab a little breakfast.  Mebbe scrambled eggs... or... chicken pot pie....

But then, if I stop, hey, what's that sound.. everybody look what's going down... an ear of corn and a baked tater sounds better.

"You're only here for a short visit.  Don't hurry, don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way."   Walter Hagen

Forward by Foghorn Leghorn and Colonel Sanders

Love, Victurd



No comments:

Post a Comment

When your baby leaves you all alone

And nobody calls you on the phone A-don't you feel like a-cryin'? Don't you feel like cryin'? Well, here I am, a-honey A-com...