Monday, September 23, 2024

Dark-thirty

You know the nighttime, darling (night and day)Is the right time (night and day)To be (night and day)With the one you love, now (night and day)

Eh mebbe....

We are all different.  (Gotta mirror?  See what I mean?).. I mean, we are.  Night owls, early to bed... late sleeper... up at the crack of dawn...

This blog has kinda sorta been veritable collective blurt about DO THIS (laugh, love, smile, be nice, get up and go, text/call/write/go see whilst ya can) DON'T DO THAT (argue, grump, groan, worry, fret, stop 'doing/going'.. CAN'T YOU READ THE (warning) SIGN(s)... ie, we're old. Hella old, days are precious.

What about Sony? (I think mebbe I'm the only one in the World that remembers that commercial.)..... No, that (what about Sony) ain't what I meant.

WHAT ABOUT DARK?

We old people, generally, don't do dark no more.  When doya go to bed?  Oh, I dunno, 8:30 or so...... you?...  So, you say we don't do dark... if you go to bed at 8:30, ain't it dark when you awaken?

Sure... but, whointheheck goes outside then?  Nobody takes the paper any longer.. (Because it's cheaper to do the E-version thing?) No, well ok, sure, but mainly because it's dark out, there's cracks in them sidewalks, my skivvies got holes in 'em, we can't see, slip and fall, the batteries in the flashlight are from 1968.

Last night (Imagine that) I was actually out and about with friends.  Old friends. We (old folks) don't do dat.  But, our local football team was on Sunday Night Football.  I 'splurged', forced my body to stay awake for the entire game...  When the game clock ticked zero, I headed home........ walked in the door at like 10:24pm.  Late for me.  Very late.

My son had orientation last week for Fedex employment... Said "My first day is the 23rd." I remembered that as I walked in at 10:24pm it was the 22nd. 

"So, what time to you start tomorrow?"  (My son doesn't presently drive.) "2am."  Holy guacamole.

40 winks, I learn, means, a short nap. I did that. Alarm set for 1:15am.  That's dark-thirty.  I slept thru midnight.  I ain't seen midnight on NYE or otherwise since I was mebbe 46.  You?  BEEP, BEEP, get up Victor.  I hit the snooze for 5 minuters.  BEEP BEEP, get up Victor.  5 more.  BEEP BEEP, ok, ok, enter curse word here.

"I'll be in the car waiting."  Holy crap it's dark. 2nd day of Fall, 1:30am, HEATER/DEFROST on.  Brrrrr, kinda a feel good.  Whereintheheck is the interior light?  I never use it. I gotta clean junk offa the passenger seat so my son can get in.  Found the light.  Dayum it's dark.

'Kid' in, rolling.  Wondered (to myself) am I the oldest person in Missouri presently out driving at this moment? Thought, "probably".. Then I thought, holy crap, I can't see the white lines, I (think) I am going the right direction, in the right lane... every oncoming, passing car HAS TO BE being driven by a snotnose don't it?  We old, we don't do dark.

Starry starry night....   flaming flowers that brightly blaze... 
Swirling clouds in violet haze.. Reflect in Vinceturd's eyes of China blue.....

Daytime, I go the speed limit, folks fly by me.  Nighttime, I'm moving 5-10 miles under the speed limit (hey, there are deer, curbs, guard rails, geezers driving the wrong way, yada)..  snotnoses fly right by me.

Are you afraid of the dark?  When's the last time you went to the Awful Waffle at 2am?  Hayes Hamburgers?  Helens? (whatinthehell is Helens?)  It's a 3am bar, or, so I heard. Uh huh.

Howabout the Drive-in?  Last time?  Road trip outta town?  What would be your motel check in time?  Victurd, we push it... we usually don't pull over for sleep until 10pm or so.

Your pants are on fire. You're old too.  We old don't do dark.

Night cap.  Late night.  Night shift.  Night watch.  Night train.  Midsummer night.  Night terrors.  Night sweat.  

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. Hells to the No's.

I USEDTA enjoy nightlife.  The Methodist Church on toppa the hill overlooking our town, we (snotnoses) would get between the spotlights and the wall and make HUGE scary shadows.  There wasn't trunk-or-treat but there was in-the-trunk at the Twin Drive-In.  Fireworks when the ball dropped on NYE.  1am rasslin' in the living room of our frat house. Bonfires.  Fire pits. Camping, swapping stories long in the night. We generally didn't leave for a night out until night, dark.

Huh uh.  No more.

I do like dark chocolate.  Not a great fan of dark beer but Modelo Negra is THE BOMB.  Dark shades on a boat ride.  Dark humor. 

Keep calm and release the bats.  Are you afraid of the dark?  Don't keep calm, I'm under your bed.  The creepier the better.  Come to the dark side, we have cookies. 

ARE YOU CRAZY? A VAMPIRE?  A ZOMBIE?

“I would not, could not, in the rain. Not in the dark. Not on a train. Not in a car. Not in a tree. I do not like them, Sam, you see.”

I need to rest. I think I'll go to Motel 6. Uh huh, of course, they'll leave the light on. Besides, it's gonna be light soon. Then what will I do? My body is all messed up. But, aren't all old people's?

Night night. I mean, er, morning morning.

Sweet (day) dreams......

Starry starry night.......

Love, Vinceturd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dark-thirty

You know the nighttime, darling (night and day) Is the right time (night and day) To be (night and day) With the one you love, now (night an...