Thursday, October 26, 2023

Retain......

Absorb and continue to hold........

In some, not all, but some aging situations, retention, lack thereof, happens.  I've only had a brief run with that with my father, but I've witnessed way too many of my friends, relatives having to 'walk along the train track' with a specific loved one as retention fades.  An extension, a compliment, a game planner in making whatever time is left in life - the best it can be for their loved one, friend.  It's sad, but, certainly amazing to watch.  I truly love those of you who do 'walk along that train track' beside, guiding, loving.  I am quite certain ALL, would say, "Victor, it's not have to, it's get to."  All the more reason to love, admire, thank you. (And speaking of which, I oh so love my niece and her hubby for affording my father residence, uplifting, guidance, fun, in his last days. I, he, was lucky.)

Hopefully, injecting a can of "Fix-A-Flat" (into this blog), I'd much rather we go down the path of speaking about the ability to retain, versus vacancy of memories.

I know, I know, much is said negatively about living in the past.  I nod my head, but too, believe we are a wonderful quilt, stitched by many. Village people, perhaps - as in, it takes a village.  We lean, falter, others keep us upright. Sometimes it's our turn to do that, help.  We work, play, we emote - most of the time wonderfully.  I see no harm in the recall of that.

Close your eyes for a sec.  Think, deeply, about some of the people you oh so admire, and are oh so thankful to have had life afford you the opportunity to, at least once, walk down the yellow brick road with them. Reflection.  Beauty. Happiness.  Good moods, fun.. Blessed.

Yesterday I learned of the passing of a gal I got the opportunity to coach back in the day. Everyone, everyone loved her.  Yes, she was a good player, and we hear this all the time, "an even better person" and that she was.  Sting. Hurt. Why?  Not fair?  Way too young. Sometimes, the good die young.  Sucks.

But, retention, recall guides us.  Of course life, meeting, engaging with others along the way, we're unable to see the view from their Chuck Taylor's. Who knows what lurks within?  

In life, we share much.  Interstates, backwoods, schools, homes, churches, neighborhoods, companies, swimming, golfing, conversations around firepits, joy, grief, pain, worry, self doubt, will, no will, all.  We share it all.

Sleeve.  Blogging here, yes, I, (apologizing in advance for language) 'show my ass' oft times.  Wear it on my sleeve. It's those, them, that don't.  Yes, pain, suffering, bad days, crap that we all have to go thru, are in there somewhere under the sleeve of that shirt - BUT, outwardly, you'd never know.

Bright lights, in a good way.  People who take these same paths in life, have transmissions go out, hear harmful speech, surely, at one time or another, winged their way. Illness. Exhaustion. This, that, MUCH, bad within their lives -

But, you'd never know it.  Bright lights.  Thanks to the sun (and the sunny disposition), some always shine.  It looks easy doesn't it?  I dunno about you, but sometimes I wanna curl up in bed, put a note on the door "Leave me the heck alone for awhile wouldya?".. .

Then, we have people like Laurie.  Alla that bad crap surely had to have happened to her too.  I mean, we both drive 435. We both go thru the Seasons.  Surely we both have struggled with 'more bills than money'. Yet, always a smile.

She got knocked down
But she got up again
You're never gonna keep her down
She got knocked down
But she got up again
You're never gonna keep her down.

And, there are those, thankfully, we never ever see get knocked down.  They're always up.  Smiling, contributing cheer, fun, humor, glee.  How do they do it?

Yes, she's gone.

Recall, retention, the ability to retain, lives on.  I'm so tickled to have met her, many, along this path of life.  Perhaps there are those 'don't live life in the rear view mirror' sayers... I'm ok with that, and sure, we must go forward in life.

But, the ability to retain, remember, smile, attempt to hopefully emulate those guiding lights, make this event called life a little more bearable.

Thank you Laurie, I will never forget you.

(I hadn't seen Laurie years. We've winged a few online messages the last several years, that's about it. She touched the lives of so many.  I guess what I'm saying, asking, sure, I love that you care, are sorry, someone I [and so, so many] thought so very highly of is now gone - but, it's not just my loss, it's everyone's loss, inotherwords, I love you for being here, reading this, but comments like "Sorry for your loss" to me, I'd feel selfish. The thought appreciated for sure, but unsaid works. We all, at some time or another, lose guiding lights.  It's never, ever fun.  I much prefer recall.  I can, do, feel your feel for me in the particular instance, and I DO thank you. Life has afforded us all 'Laurie's', like those ones you thought of when you closed your eyes.  Let's just lean on each other.  Retain, recall. Give thanks.

Sometimes, contrary to what some say, ya need rear view mirrors to help guide us. Yes, recall stings, but in a way, it also hurts so good.

Love, Victurd

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Old Lady that Swallowed the Fly.......

I know an old lady She swallowed a fly But I don't know why She swallow the fly I guess she'll die Victor...... why do you put us th...