Saturday, December 23, 2023

The time to hesitate is through.......

Someone's knocking at ma' door.. somebody ringin' the bell...

Katy bar the door.  When one door shuts, another one opens.  Get your foot in the door.

I find, no one ever knocks on my door when I'm fully clothed. "Just a minute!"  You?  I truly ain't no exhibitionist, I just like comfy.

"Your barn door is open" <-- my favorite text to send to a friend across the room that doesn't know I'm there.

The door at the gym.  I find, the hardest part is simply getting there.  You?

That "The time to hesitate is through"... band camp.  I was 9 maybe. Our old house, of course, had the big ole heavy door with the key/deadbolt lock thingy - but, the door to get to that was wooden, with six window panes... so... back when life was friendly, safe, "where everybody knows your name", Jesse James was long gone from the territory, we mostly left it 'unhooked' even.  During mid-all-critical whiffle ball game, I hadta pee (yes, it started way back then.) So, I ran in to pee. In the meantime, I guess someone 'hooked' the door.  With Lou Brock like speed (ok, maybe Moose Skowron, you're right) I RAN to get back out to game, extended my right arm in Gale Sayers fashion to stiff arm the door open, get back out there, finish THE all important 900th whiffle ball game of the summer.. and as my arm hit a glass pane to open, uh oh, it was hooked, my arm pushed thru the glass (anudder uh oh), a trip to Doc Bowles followed.. a lifetime of a scar in the inside of my elbow - I've come to love it as a reminder to that house, my family, that day and age, my love for neighbors, 'game', much.

Are you like me? (GOSH I hope not!)  Maybe better said, are you like me IN THAT you enjoy driving around, seeing places you USED to live... and would give anything to go back thru that door again?  Our memories allow us too.

Doors.  All kinds of feel.  First day of school, gulp.  School's out! Yeah!  Lines. Lines to get in the door to vote.  See a concert. Pay those disgusting taxes, grab the dreaded "you are number 67" tab from the DMV.

Holding the door open.  I have noticed, the older I get, the nicer folks are in wait to hold doors open. It's a good feel, both ways. Speakinowhich.. when you're going into a retail quickshop joint, and walk to door, know someone is on your heels, do you think about "But, if I hold the door for them then they'll be in line before me"?  SHAME ON YOU.  I know, I do it too.

Remember mid-Covid?  Walking up to a door..  Eww... I remember using my elbow, a paper towel from the bathroom, my Jan Stenerud-like foot, anything other than my pinkies, to open.

Band camp, edition 2. We had some relatives from up North, nice enough people, but, there was neva' ever any kinda warning they were coming - and that's ok, relatives welcome any time, just different.  Once, I was at my folks house, four year old son with me. Relatives came, visited. Were leaving, but, as they walked out the door, stopped for an extended time to say their goodbyes as they held the outer door open.  As this time wore on, 4 year old had heard enough, came, pushed the key/deadbolt lock door shut and as he did, said "This is boring."  He actually, was kinda right, but, a tad embarrassing send off to our unannounced guests!

Leave politics at the door.  Mick wanted the red door black. 

Elevator door, aka, Bandcamp 3. Three, lifelong friend couples en route from hotel room down to swimming pool. Each, drink in hand.  Biggest, probably jolliest man, right up front in 'first out the door' position. Wife of 40+ years, sensed the elevator slowing down to stop on a floor that tweren't quite to the floor of the swimming pool. "Honey (she said to jolly fellow who was holding his drink) can you hold my drink for a sec?" Of course he obliged.  Just then, the elevator stopped, the door started to open and as it did she simultaneously yanked his swim trunks down to his ankles.  Oops.  Or, mebbe that should be spelled OOps. A lifelong funny ha ha moment for the six.  Well, 5 of the 6 mebbe.

Bouncer at the door. (When's the last time you were ID'ed? I know, I've forgotten too). Salvation Army Bellringer at the door.  Girl Scout cookies at the door! Yum!

All kindsa at the door moments.  Kid with a snow shovel, or a push mower. Heck to the yes my friend!  Jehovah's.. Eh, I know, but, I get uncomfy. Police. Oh hell.  Whew, wrong apartment. Old friend. Young friend. Cousin, Aunt, Uncle, Kids, Grandkids.. all, yummy doorknockers.

Golfer at course, bandcamp 4,  I think. He'd locked his car doors prior to playing.  Then, threw his keys in his golf bag. Once finished, tossed his bag in the trunk, closed it.  Uh oh.    Bandcamp 5, Mickey D's, on a Sunday. I'd locked mine in the car. Crapola, I figured minimum $150 on a Sunday.  Called lock dude. "Be right there."  One'a those skinny tool thingies, open in a flash. "Forty bucks sir." Thank goodness.

Open door policy.  Closed door. Revolving door. Show someone the door...    Locked doors in your youth?  Were your doors at home locked at night? All day? Now? Car doors?  As a lifelong lover of levity from Liberty, I never locked my car doors.  A few years back, someone very clearly had gone thru my car, glovebox opened, I really had nothing of value for 'em to grab, a little changeholder with maybe $1.23 in it was gone, but, the worst hurt was, "this is how it is now, even here."

To tell the truth. Ya ever had someone knock on your door, and either ya weren't fond of 'em, or, mebbe not in the mood to visit, didn't know 'em, something... and you didn't move an inch?  I do admit, I have done that.

"Don't let people disrespect you. My mom says don't open the door to the devil. Surround yourself with postive people."  Cuba Gooding Jr.

Door mats.  Welcome.  Welcome-ish, depends on who you are and how long you stay. Live laugh leave.  Doorbell broken, yell "DING DONG" really loud.  Cute shoes, take them off.  Unless you have Tacos Tequila Girl Scout Cookies or My Amazon package go away.  Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit, look who's here. (Picture of frog sitting in a rocking chair holding gun.. Hippity Hoppity Get Off My Property.) Ew, people.

Bandamp 97, I think it is. Had an uncle. Like all uncles, corny, fun.  Each and every new baby to the family, he would fetch it up in his arms, walk thru an interior doorway and purposely leave his elbow out for the LOUDEST thud sound you ever heard, much to the shock, dismay of new mommies and daddies.  About the 3rd or 4th newborn, we were wise to him.

"Ten men waiting at my door.  Send one of them home, I'm tired." Mae West

Bandcamp 98. (Old) KCI airport.  Doors were all glass.. as you approached, automated.  Deer. There were deer in the area. Once or twice a year, one would somehow make it to the door..  See it's reflection, wanna visit "the other deer" so, entre'vu they did.  Wooden floors.  Traveling people. Scared deer, CLIP CLOP CLIP CLOP, 'twas quite exiting.

How do you drown a blonde on a submarine?  Knock on the door.

Doors are hello's, goodbye's, opportunities, loss. Meeting new people, developing lifelong friends. Gatherings. Thanksgivings. Christmas's. Family.  Good friends. Exciting. Scary. Happy. Sad.

A man hires a blonde to paint his porch. He tells her that the brushes, paint, and ladders are in the garage. About 30 minutes later he hears a knock and answers the door. The blonde lets him know that she's finished. "Wow" he says, "that was quick. Did you have enough paint?""Yup, enough for 2 coats!" she replies.The man thanks and pays her. As she's leaving she turns around and says "By the way, it's not a Porsche. It's a Ferrari."

As you walk in, out of doors this Christmas, good tidings and happiness to you.

Who let the dogs out (who, who, who, who)

PS, I don't hate blondes. I grew up madly in love with Elizabeth Montgomery, Elizabeth Shue, Christina Applegate, Goldie, Meg, Farrah, Reese, Faye, Kim, etc, etc, etc.

Love, Victurd

No comments:

Post a Comment

The eyes have it...

Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes. She's got Bette Davis eyes.  She’s not just captivating in her looks, she’s got the...