Thursday, June 20, 2024

Going steady.........

Yarn,  and the whole ball of wax........

No, that ain't it.  If you're old, you remember.  A ring.  Usually a class ring, but, didn't haveta be. Usually the guy's hands, fingers are bigger'n the gals, sooooooooo... his ring..  some yarn wrapped around. There. Did it.  We're exclusive.  Whatever that means.

THE BEGINNING OF:            the end, some might say.  A beautiful thing, others would add. Who knows?  A family of twelve?  I'm old now, I can't even remember her first name....  He/she (drank,, bragged, worked, 'wandered', socialized, smothered, griped, controlled, spent) too much.  He/she was perfect there Goldilocks.  Slow down there with all that there Slim, I just learned how to spell sophomore!

Band camp. James Taylor, couple weeks ago. Gal from the crowd hollers out "I LOVE YOU!"......... James... smiled...  said...  "I never really know how to respond to that...   but, I think we should see others too." (Band camp, quite a few moons prior, same thing happened when Dolly Parton was singing at the arena in downtown KC, dude hollers "I LOVE YOU DOLLY!" and without missing a beat, she belts out "I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU TO STAY IN THE TRUCK!"

We can never know about the days to comeBut we think about them anywayAnd I wonder if I'm really with you nowOr just chasin' after some finer day
Infatuation, infatuation,Is makin' me lateIs keepin' me waitin'
Remember?  Googly eyes.  Ya wrote their name on everything.  You tied up mom and dad's landline for hours talking about nothing.  Older/younger siblings would become incensed, begging mom/dad to make you get offa the phone.
And I tell you how easy it feels to be with youAnd how right your arms feel around meBut I, I rehearsed those words just late last nightWhen I was thinkin' about how right tonight might be
Infatuation, infatuationIs makin' me lateIs keepin' me waitin'
And tomorrow we might not be togetherI'm no prophet and I don't know nature's waysSo I'll try and see into your eyes right nowAnd stay right here 'cause these are the good old days
Agree there... no matta' the age.  Ya never know.  Ifn's ya do break up (I hope ya git ur class ring back, I ain't rightly sure where/who mine went, ha!).. all those books ya wrote on, the yearbooks ya notated "Jack loves Diane" (or Hank, Suzy, Bill, Sally, yada).. 
Gotta buddy.  I know I've told this before. Sorry, kinda.  Anyways, in his billfold, he kept a picture of his then girlfriend (Flash foward 40 years, they married, happy as can be).. anyways... he had a pic of her in his billfold..  in the pic was his gf, and, another dude.  He really really liked the pic of her, so, no problem.. a little masking tape to cover the dude.. he shows everyone how perty she looks.  Wonder if he's still got it in his billfold?
Holy crap can you think that far back?  I know, in our high school class there were couples who lived, breathed that infatuation into marriage. A few, very longterm. 
Que sera sera.  I don't know how you look back on those days, but I do so fondly. While it's a certainty, being head over heels, googly eyed, 'all I can think of', madly infatuated, is/can be, rewarding, unhealthy, very healthy, yummy, sweaty, petty.... the wonder of an interpersonal relationship. Oh I wonder wonder wonder wonder WHO, who wrote the book of love?
We all did.
Going steady was in fact, yummy.  We would go, go, go.  Couldn't wait for that first peek of the day. Grab em for a hug. Hand in hand down the hall. Math, science, English, Home Ec, PE.. who cares.. all I think of is............. her/him.
Nowadays, going steady kinda means something else.  If an old man is lucky (and I don't mean that kinda lucky) he is able to go steady...  go, go, go (without intermittence), can't wait for that first pee of the day..  then, ahem, the other thing..  then, be thankful for the grab bars. Hands on the wall down the hall.  What day is it?  Why'd I come into this room (den, living room, dining room, basement, attic, mancave, sheshed, yada). I think a nap is a wonderful idea. If only I could remember his/her name, I'd ask if he/she wanted to take a nap as well.
And stay right here 'cause these are the good old days(These are the good old days)(These are the good old days)(These are the good old days)(These are the good old days)

Infatuation, infatuationIs makin' me lateIs keepin' me waitin'

As with much in growing older... I don't remember the purpose... why I thoughta that.. why I wrote about it.. I just remember how good it was... and, whilst I ain't presently coupled, how good it felt.  I hope your memories are as grand as well.

Keep going steady.. no matta how many real hips/knees ya got.  Smile, show them shiny teeth, even if they ain't urs.  

Have a lovely day........... you know, kinda like Bill said...  harken back, remember that initital infatuation... I hope it's still going steady......

Then I look at you
And the world's alright with me
Just one look at you
And I know it's gonna be
A lovely day (lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day)
(Lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day)
A lovely day (lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day)
(Lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day)

Love, Victurd




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks..........

 Once again, I made the dreaded mistake of, strolling, page by page thru the newspaper.  I do so virually every morning, and.... as I finall...